I Should Have Known Chapter 29

Please hit play on the song on the side and listen to it throughout the chapter.

"So have you decided if you're going to go to Texas Tech or A and M?" Cale asked playing with a strand of my hair.

            This was the question I had been dreading. We had graduated a few weeks ago and registration for all the universities were due in a matter of days.

            Cale was going to Texas Tech on a football scholarship. As kids we had always planned to go their together. I had been offered a volleyball scholarship but I had declined.

            I didn't want to just stay in Texas my whole life. I wanted to get out there and explore the world. I don't want to do the same old same old. Just been another alumni from A&M in a few years.

            I wanted to go some noticeable. I wanted my future employers to look at my resume and say wow you went to that college! You must be one incredible student. I wanted to make a difference in the world.

            Growing up I had wanted to be a princess I mean what girl doesn't when you grow up watching Aurora prick her finger on the spinning wheel and Snow White live with the dwarfs and then fall in love with prince charming.

            What little girl didn't try to comb her hair out with a fork like Ariel or pretend to leave your shoe somewhere hoping your prince charming will pick it up then marry you. Or pretend to be locked in the Beast's castle when you're sent to your room.

            Of course I had done all those things with my sister and brothers. I had wanted to grow up to be exactly like my mother and then marry my daddy. Those days had quickly come to an end after the accident.

            Then once I was older I wanted to be a teacher so that I could grow up and influence the next generation of kids. But more and more recently all I could think of was becoming a doctor.

            I wanted to save lives and make a difference. Not just stand on the sidelines and become a stay at home mom. Of course then I would make a difference in my children's lives, but I wanted to do something more with my life. I wanted to save lives.

            "Hello Earth to Taylor?" Cale said waving his hand in front of my face.

            "Sorry I was just thinking." I said looking down at my feet. I knew what was coming and it wouldn't be pretty. I quickly leaned up my pressed my lips to Cale's in one last savory kiss. Just one more time, one more time to feel the passion we shared, to experience the love we had for each other, just one more time.

            "I love you." I said solemnly.

            "I love you too." Cale said smiling at me like I was the only person in the world. Like his smile could solve all our problems and then the worlds. Right in those final moments we were once again just two teenagers madly in love. Those were the words I longed to hear because I never knew when I may hear them again if ever.

            "Cale I won't be going to study medicine at Texas Tech or A&M. I'll be going to Oxford in England for five years." I said in a low voice. I tore my eyes away from my shoes to look him in the eye.

            His face displayed shock. I could see the pain in his eyes. I could feel the betrayal in his gaze.

            "I leave tomorrow. I'm sorry for not telling you but I just couldn't bear the thought of you angry at me." I said tears choking my voice.

            "I'm not angry at you Taylor, I'm furious. We've always planned to go to college together, always planned to get married. I thought we were in love! Do you expect me to just say okay and let you leave for five years. How could you Taylor? How could you just leave. I thought we were done with the leaving. I thought that we were worth staying for. I thought that you loved me. But now I don't think so." Cale said tears rolling down his face. He wouldn't look me in the eye.

            "We can make it work Cale I love you and you love me we can always make it work." I said the tears now flowing freely.

            "You'll be thousands of miles away for five years Taylor. Do you expect me to just sit here and wait for you. I'm sorry Taylor but we can't just make it work." Cale said standing up and opening the door of his room. "Goodbye Taylor." he said tears pouring down his cheeks. I could see the pain and hurt in his eyes.

            "This is not goodbye Cale, I will wait because I love you. I'm sorry." I said leaning in and quickly kissing him on the cheek and walking out. Cale quickly shut the door behind me and I leaned into it and slid down to the floor. Only then did the tears fall in earnest.

***Author's Note***

Oh my gosh one more chapter then the epilogue! I can't believe it's really almost over! Thank you so much for all the support I have received from you guys! Let's try to get this book on the "What's Hot List" just once more time before This is all over! Please spread the word guys :)