0.6

Jesse

After the strange events that have occurred the previous day, I was surprised to have slept more than eight hours. I woke up to another cold day, and the house was awfully silent.

I knew that Mr. and Mrs. Kim had to go to work, while Hannah had to make up hours at the store due to having the day off yesterday. I thought that Namjoon was going to be in his room with his friend Taehyung, but they were nowhere to be found.

Since I had nothing to do, I decided to dress up and go out for walk. I remember a few days ago when I went to pick up Hannah, I passed by a small but neat playground near the Han river, so why not actually pay a visit there while I still can?

Before exiting the house, I messaged Hannah about the keys to lock the front door. Fortunately she messaged me right away telling me that they were hanged on the key holder in the kitchen and I could leave them behind the plant when I head out.

It didn't took me long to reach the park, and lucky for me, no one was there. Probably because there was school today for the children.

I settle on one of the swings and check on my phone. I take in consideration in calling my mother, who is desperate to know of my whereabouts. I place her on speaker once I dial, and after a couple of beeps she answers. [[Hello, this is Marie.]]

I glance down at the mobile, making sure I called the right number. "Hi Marie, this is Jessabelle Carter Lee. I happen to be your daughter..."

[[My daughter? I don't recall having one...]] I squint down at the screen, unsure of what is going on. [[I used to, once; but she has forgotten about me ever since she has gone traveling...]] I grimace at the phone on my lap for a second time.

"That's sad to hear ma'am... I was calling to see how my mother was doing but it seems that I got the wrong number so I guess I'm just going to hang up. Have a lovely da--"

[[Jessabelle, don't you dare.]] Ah, there she is.

"I'm sorry? What was that, ma'am? I thought you didn't have a daughter?"

[[Cut the crap.]] She says in her usual tone when she's serious. [[Where are you and why haven't you called in the past few days?]]

"I'm currently in Seoul, South Korea." I sigh, witnessing my cold breath as I do so.

[[South Korea?! What made you go there?]] She asks in astonishment.

"Cheaper price. I'm poor." I mentally facepalm myself as I finish the sentence.

[[Why didn't you come back home instead?]] She sounds rather worried, which I knew that was going to happen.

"Don't worry about the money, I have enough to survive."

[[Where are you staying?]]

"Remember I told you a while ago that my friend Hannah-- wait, you know her, Mom. Hannah Kim. She and her family returned to Korea after graduation? They've given me a place to stay as soon as I got here."

[[Oh, the Kims. I still have Saeri's email, I should contact her to give my thanks.]] She states. [[How have they been doing?]]

"It's been tough for them, the son of a close family friend passed away in an accident and they hold a funeral yesterday..."

[[Jess, don't you think they have to deal with too many things for you to be there--]]

"I know, Mom. I thought the same thing too. I'm thinking of just continuing the trip so I don't have to bother them anymore..."  Just when I finish the sentence, I feel the same chill down my spine I felt yesterday evening when I took the trash out. I ignore it, considering that it is due to the cold weather, but then I hear: