Chapter 28

Adoption was harder than it looked, especially when  you are planning on adopting two kids instead of one. The process was fun for Mariella, but I knew Gabriel struggled with the idea of moving to a new place once again. I wanted to make the transition as easy as it can be, but my lifestyle is completely different than what he is used to.  It took a long time to get him to like me. At first, he would barely talk to me unless he had too, and I know a lot of that was just because Mariella wanted him too. 

Once i finally had the chance to read their files, I understood why Gabriel was so skeptical of me. Every other female guardian in his life left him (except for the women currently taking care of the two). In the back of his mind, he probably thought i was going to leave him too. 

I made an effort to get close to him. I went to all of his soccer games, no matter how busy my schedule was. I took Gabriel and his friends out for pizza at the arcade after his tournaments, and even bought him new soccer cleats. Even with all of that, I know he is still scared of me. Every time I ask him if he wants to go out and do something with me, he always wants Mariella or August to come join us. I don't really mind, as long as he feels comfortable,  but seeing August so often after our breakup is feels like a knife is twisting in my heart. 

Apparently when Gabriel ran away from me, he ran straight into August's arms. They talked for a while, and now they are like best buds... i'm the one who is supposed to be his mother. Every now and then, August will show up at Gabriel's events. He was already attached to August, and now my Mariella was in love with him also. 

I rolled my eyes at the thought. Demi made fun of me and called me a Mama Bear when I ranted to her and Melanie about it, but I just wanted to be a mom that my kids looked up top, but how could I do that when August was stealing all my thunder. 

Okay, maybe I was a little over protective.

"Ready baby boy?'' I said, stroking Gabriels hair. It was the day of his soccer championships and I couldn't wait to see him play. I haven't officially adopted the two, I still had to deal with papers and interviews, but until then I was allowed to see them and visit. 

"Yes Ms. Mani," Gabriel answered, looking out the window. August was coming to this game so of course the kids pay no attention to me, they were waiting to see their favorite guardian. "Maybe after the game we can go to Chuck E. Cheese and you can invite some of your teammates." I said, hoping to grab his attention. 

"That would be nice Ms. Mani, thank you." he said cordially.

Mariella was cuddled into my neck, yawning softly. It was close to her nap time but I was bringing her to Gabriel's for support. I know Gabriel is super protective of his sister, and always loves having her support him at his games.

"No problem baby. I can't wait to see you play today!" I said, kissing his forehead. "You're going to be amazing out there on the field, and August and I are so proud of you!"

"Thank you Imani, you're the best" Gabriel said with a huge smile on his face. He ran to me, hugging my legs. I leaned down and smiled, petting his head.

Motherhood must be wonderful if it is filled with moments like these.