Chapter Twenty Eight

I hated having to cancel on Louise, but we were celebrating Ryan and Amy's engagement and I think it would be absolutely wrong of me not to go. Since Parker had been avoiding me all this time, it was a shock to see his face covered in bruises when Ryan had come to pick us up.

I contemplated asking him what had happened, but him putting in his earphones indicated to me that he really didn't want to talk to me. Why was he even coming? The car was pretty much filled with silence apart from the music from the radio playing in the background. Ryan kept tapping the steering wheel to the beat of the song while humming along to it. I stared out the window for the most part of the drive. Every so often, I'd look in the side mirror and see Parker just playing on his phone - or texting, I don't know.

Soon, we stopped at a gas station so Ryan could put some gas in the car. While he went inside to pay, I turned around to Parker who was staring out the window. "Parker?" I called, getting no response. I wave my hands in front of him and he eventually looks in my direction, taking out his earphones.

"What?" He asks, looking bored already. Ugh, dick.

"Are we..okay?"

"Why wouldn't we be? I mean, it's not like you slept with me for pity and gave me mixed signals or anything." Oops..

"So, I am the girl?" I ask, mentally sighing.

"Well, duh. You have been the girl for years. I just knew I could never get you, so I slept around. No excuse, I know. When we slept together, I thought that something had finally happened..something good. But no, you were just sending me mixed signals and you just felt pity towards me because I was upset. So thanks a lot." This was so unfair, seriously.

"I don't know how I was suppose to know that I was the girl. It's not my fault," I mumble, turning around and staring out the front of the car. I saw that Ryan had finally reached the front of the line and he was paying. "What happened to your face anyway?"

"Nothing," he replies. I notice in the mirror that he put his earphones in, basically signalling the end of our conversation. Ryan soon comes back and we're driving off back home. We eventually reach home and I notice that Amy was already there helping mum set up.

"Congratulations!" I say, hugging Amy as she laughed. She muttered a thank you and proceeded to show me her ring upon me asking. The ring was absolutely beautiful. "Wow," I said, mouth agape. "It's so beautiful."

"I know! It must have cost him a fortune! At first, I told him that and then told him to get a cheaper one," she started to explain, but then Ryan chimed in.

"Yeah, and I told her that nothing was too expensive for her. Oh, and that she'll only get the best which she deserves," he says, kissing her on the cheek and pulling her towards him.

"He's right Amy, you do deserve the best," I say, agreeing with Ryan. Amy did deserve the best. She is just such a sweet person and loves to give, but doesn't like to receive anything back. She was all in all a wonderful human being, and I'm glad my brother has ended up with her.

"Thanks guys."

"Right then!" Mum says, clapping her hands. "Food is ready!"

Within minutes, I heard dad coming downstairs and he appeared with a huge grin on his face, "At the mention of food, I come running!"

"Damn, anyone would say that you love food more than me," mum says, laughing.

"Of course not, baby, but I do love me some dessert," he whispers in her ear. Oh how I wish he whispered it quieter.. We all sat down around the table and somehow, Parker and I ended up sitting next to each other. We all ate in peace, some mild chatter here and there. Dad had excused himself once we all finished eating, and came back with a bottle of wine. Fancy. Dad poured each of us a glass. "Son, I am so pleased that you and Amy are finally engaged. Uh, I'll probably just not say anything now so I can keep the best parts till your wedding day! So, a toast to the happy couple!" We all raise our glasses and do the usual toasting and then have our drinks. Well, I decided to not drink mine all at once..unlike some people.

"Would you like a refill, Parker?" Mum asks, handing him the bottle. He nods, mumbles a thank you, and takes the bottle from her hand and pours himself a full glass. We all had our dessert, but not the dessert dad had in mind..ew, and drank our wine. I didn't actually entirely like the taste of wine but I drank it anyway. It's only a one off. It's not like I go around drinking it on a daily basis, and there's also the fact that I don't really like it. Soon enough, the table was all cleared and mum and dad made us all sit down once again. "So, I know we didn't really want to take away the whole attention from you two," mum said, nodding her head at Ryan and Amy, "but we thought we would share some news of our own. Amy, Parker, you're both family so we thought we would tell you both too." She looked to dad and he grinned.

"So...we thought, well have been thinking for a while now, about adopting a kid since well, you know. So, we've finally decided to actually go through with it. I mean, you both are starting your lives," he says, looking at Ryan and I, "and sure, we aren't getting any younger..but as much as I hated the idea of having kids when I was your age, actually raising my own was pretty awesome." Pretty awesome, aw. Mum and dad grin at us, while we all congratulate them. Ryan and I get another sibling!

After about a few hours, I head upstairs for an early night. While I was changing for bed, Parker walks in. "Can you knock, next time?" I ask, quickly pulling on my shirt.

"It's not like I haven't seen you naked." Ugh.

"It was a one time thing! Just because you saw once doesn't mean you have the right to just barge in likes it's okay because you saw me naked once. So next time, knock on the damn door."

"Woah, chill. I just came to apologise. I'm sorry the way I acted, it wasn't your fault that you didn't know. I hope you're happy with Chad by the way," he says, just about to walk out.

"Um, what?"

"I know you two have some sort of thing going on. I'm not blind, Riley."

"Yeah, well we haven't spoken in a few days. Well, since Ryan came." It was annoying because I hadn't seen Chad around campus and I just could not find him whatsoever. Like where the hell did he go? Narnia? "We're just friends anyway."

"Right, yeah. Well-"

"Did Chad beat you up?"

"N-"

"No seriously, tell me the truth."

"No, he didn't. It was Ryan. I'm assuming he saw you before coming to see me. But, he had punched me a few time but we're still friends. I guess he just got annoyed and thought I took advantage of you considering I'm a player and all. It's no biggie, we're good now." I knew Ryan wasn't just going to see Parker to tell him the news. "And so I've tried avoiding you way more than usual so you didn't entirely find out. I knew you'd find out the weekend anyway, but I bought Ryan would've told you to be honest. I guess I was wrong."

"I guess so," I mumble.

"Well, goodnight."

"Goodnight," I say, giving him a smile. He smiles before shutting the door. I jump into bed and smile, happy that Parker and I had somewhat sorted things out. But one thing still played on my mind; why was Chad nonexistent for the past few days? It's like he was wiped from the face of the earth..