Chapter Six

During the weekend, nothing really happened. Parker spent a lot of time in the guest room, or mine. He barely spent time with Ryan but that was because Ryan was out with Amy, and also Steve at one point. I mean, he did offer Parker to tag along to see Steve but Parker declined.

I felt as if something was wrong with him, but I wasn't sure whether or not I'd ask. But I guess there was no better time than now. I mean, we were now heading back to campus and we had at least a two hour drive.

"Are you okay, Parker?" I ask, looking towards him. He doesn't take his eyes off the road but I hear him mumble a yes. "I mean, are you sure? You didn't even hang out with Ryan, or Steve. And you can't blame it on Ryan saying he didn't invite you cos I know he did."

"I'm fine, honestly." He carried on staring forward but when we came to a stoplight, he sighed. "My parents are getting a divorce." I stare at him, eyes wide. "They called me Saturday. I don't know why they didn't wait for me to come home to tell me. But I guess they couldn't wait a week or two."

"So wait, why?"

"I don't know, they're impatient I-"

"No, I mean why are they getting a divorce?"

"Oh, they didn't say. But I figured they were going to get one eventually. I just didn't realise it was this soon. They'd been together properly about...five years after I was born? I was definitely born out of wedlock." He looked back to the road as the traffic lights changed. "They couldn't entirely agree on how to raise me, and they shared custody of me. But when I was around five, they got together. I think it was about three years later they got married. I mean, in the last two years I've been seeing cracks in their relationship but I'm sure it's been there for a while. Dad always stayed out too late, mum drank more than she should. The later he stayed out, the more she drank. Sometimes I'd find her passed out in the garden or something, and dad would be upstairs in bed with or without another woman. I decided not to even go into his room to check on him. He was usually fine and the woman usually left before mum woke up. Mum always had a killer headache, told me not to worry about anything and she was fine." He sighed. "Enough about them, anyway."

"Wait, so..they're getting a divorce? Why'd they go away together then?"

"To see a lawyer and all, sort things out. There's me thinking they went away to sort their marriage out and to work on it and make it better. Guess I was wrong." I out my hand on his shoulder.

"It's okay, Parker. I mean, it isn't.. But at least it's better than them being trapped in a loveless marriage and all. Maybe it's for the best that they go their separate ways. You know?" He nodded his head and I removed my hand from his shoulder. "I mean, you said your mum just drinks more and more when your dad is out late. Don't you think it's better for her health if they divorce? She won't be up late wondering where her husband is or who he's with. She'll be free from that worry and can try and find someone who will actually be there for her instead of out with another woman."

He sighs and taps the steering wheel as he drives. "I suppose you're right, Riley. I mean, it'll be for the best. I think I'll move out too, cos I'm still technically living there. I mean you've got your own apartment, don't you?"

"Actually, no. I haven't got one yet but I'm planning on getting one soon since my course at uni is almost done. I'm still technically living with my parents, even though everything is actually at the university." He hums in reply and I look over to him. I notice that he seems to be thinking. Oh gosh he better not-

"How about we share an apartment?" He did.. I look at him with one eyebrow raised. Is he for real?

"Are you kidding? You and me, I'm an apartment together? You, with me? You are kidding right?"

"Um, no.. I'm not. It'll be good. I need a new place to stay. You're looking for an apartment. It'll cost cheaper if we split things in half. I mean, we aren't made of money, are we? You and I only have a weekend job, and they don't tend to pay much." In all honesty, he does have a fair point. It'll be a lot cheaper and our weekend jobs don't pay a lot. But then me and him, sharing an apartment? He's horny all the time! "I'll respect your privacy if that's what you're thinking. I'll be a bit less...horny?" Can he read my mind? What the hell..

"Yeah but.." I mean, look at my parents.. They lived together and ended up having a secret relationship without uncle Jake knowing. They went behind his back. Like I'm pretty sure with us living together, he will try something. But then, he's honestly got a point!

"Look, think about it. It's just an idea to help us both out. Well, it'll benefit the both of us. Plus, we've known each other for a good six years."

"Yeah but you keep trying it on with me!"

"I'll clam it down then, I won't try things with you...as much." I laugh a little, at the fact he added the 'as much'. I don't know why, but it did make me laugh.

"Look, I'll think about it. Yeah? Maybe we can get Steph in on it too."

"Could do, find a big enough apartment too. Three rooms, bathroom, kitchen, living room. Done."

"Well I have got a few ones I like, but I'll look into it more. they do have three room, I think. But besides, we do have to ask Steph anyway." I really hope she says yes, I don't think I'd be able to survive if it was just Parker and I. Especially with him being such a horndog.