With A Little Help From My Enemy - Cross Edge

Title: With A Little Help From My Enemy

Fandom: Cross Edge

Summary: Lyner was injured and alone. He needed to find shelter. What he got was help from an unexpected person – Reicher.

Pairing/s: minor hints of Reicher/Lyner

Disclaimer: I do not own anything to do with this series nor am I make any profit from this piece of fanwork

Warnings: None

AN: Feels like it’s been ages since I’ve written a oneshot, but I know it hasn’t been that long. Just taking a break from my other story “Cease the Suffering” to belt this one out. Enjoy!

-

Lyner wasn't sure what had actually happened. He had been on a hunting expedition with a few of his teammates when they must have been ambushed by a predator that resided in this world. He remembered a sense of utter shock before the wild movements of defending himself from an array of attacks. He remembered a sharp pain in the back of his head. After that it was all a little fuzzy.

A few facts were certain, though. One; he's been separated from the others. Meaning he was by himself. Completely alone.

Two; he was injured. The most painful were his right ankle. He must have sprained it or something, as it was hard to walk on. His right shoulder had a deep gash on his shoulder blade. He could feel the blood that had thankfully clotted. And the pain in the back of his head that, thankfully, didn't have any blood. But it was throbbing like a deep-seated migraine. It made it hard to think straight.

The thirdly; his weapon had somehow gone AWOL on him. So he was unarmed. Not a good thing in a world full of seemingly blood-thirsty monsters.

He wasn't in a very good position to put it lightly.

To make matters worse, it seemed that a storm was beginning to brew as night fell. He needed to find some kind of shelter. He needed to lie low for a while and wait for the others to come and find him. He knew they would. Hopefully those he had been travelling with him all right and he was the worst affected.

"Well, don't you make a pitiful sight?"

A cool shiver raced down Lyner's spine and he immediately spun around to face the source of that overly confidence and smug voice. He immediately regretted his quick movements, though, as a terrible dizzying sensation nearly brought him to his knees. His vision blacked out for what felt like only a few seconds before blurry images began to appear.

And unfortunately for him, the first thing that came into focus was none other than that smirking, egotistical face of Reicher. He was somewhat relieved that it wasn't Bourd, though.

Still, a sense of irritation touched him.

"You're not looking too good there, sunshine," Reicher said, irritatingly amused.

Lyner wanted to make some kind of a retort, but with the way his head was throbbing made it hard to come up with anything even remotely witty. He wasn't even in the right frame of mind to feel fearful. Here he was, injured, alone and defenceless with an enemy that was wildly unpredictable and very powerful.

As much as it pained for him to admit, he was at this man's mercy.

He didn't want him to know that, though.

Wordlessly, hoping not to antagonise the other man, Lyner began to limp away, supporting himself with his left hand, moving from tree to tree. Because of his previous abrupt movements, his head was ringing and the pain in his shoulder and leg felt worse. He must look really pathetic.