Chapter 14

I was at the club again. The guy I slept with last year was sitting with me at a table as we drank apple tinis. His name was Owen and he was cute. He had incredible skin and dazzling teeth. He was just very sexy. He was different than Lafayette. He was still nice, but he was very anti-establishment, but not in a lazy douche-bag way. He doesn't like the government and he's not into big business. He still thinks Lafayette Jeff is a great person because he's charitable and really has helped people.

"I don't want to say I'm a communist because then people think I'm, you know, a commie," he told me. "But I'm also not saying I'm not a communist."

"I think I learned more from you in five minutes about the government than my high school government teacher," I said.

He laughed and sipped his drink. "I don't understand how you're still single," he said.

I shrugged.

"What about that guy you said you liked? When you were hammered?"

I sighed. "It's so not going to happen. He's so gorgeous he can get any person he wants. Plus," I shook my head. "I doubt I'm his type."

"What?"

"Well, he's smart, and I'm not that smart. Like, you can say I'm smart with school. Kind of. I'm really good at understanding things. I suck with math, but when it comes to the types of things he talks about with his friends I don't get it. It's all economics and business."

"Hardly anyone is good with economics, Emerson," he said.

"I'm like a blonde in disguise. I'm stupid when it comes to street smarts and common sense. And math. Fuck math. I'm great with English and literature and history. I'm right brained. I create and imagine. Left brained people analyze and comprehend."

"So he's left brained?"

"No. He's a perfect mix of both because he's so freaking perfect and I'm not. He probably wants someone he can talk to about his business and have them share their ideas. He probably wants someone who can attend a seminar with mathematicians and discuss the economy."

"Do you have anything in common?"

"Yeah! We have quite a bit of things in common. He really likes classic rock and classical music and so do I, but I do like some modern music, too. We've read the same books, too. We like so many of the same things, but he's still not like me. If we were in high school, he'd be the golden boy that everyone loved. He'd be popular and athletic and perfect. I'd be the twinkie nerd who hangs out with the weird people that everyone makes fun of. And you know what - that's true! He actually was the golden boy and I actually was the weird guy."

"Let me ask you something. How often do you talk?"

"Everyday. Constantly."

"Do you enjoy the talks you share?"