Chapter 13

The first three months of the new year picked up a lot of speed. Lafayette was initiating his new schools across the country, sending out advertisements as the schools were being built, and he decided that students who would help with construction would be eligible to win scholarships for college. Little did they know, just by helping would make them win at least a thousand dollar scholarship, but probably more than that. They were going to be done by May and ready to use in June. So students were quickly signing up. They were established as a campus and with different schools of certain areas, so it would really be like a college and getting kids ready. Also, his birthday was the 30th, turning 31-years-old. We only had a small party for him, just a few select friends. I got him a pan flute, another odd instrument to add to his list. My father's birthday was February 9th, and so I went and celebrated that with the family.

Alisha and Clovis had started dating, which shocked me because she didn't really date anyone. Though she said Clovis was different, and she was glowing every time I saw her. She said it was about time she settled down. She declared that she was going to live in the city, much to my pleasure because I loved seeing her, and she was going to try and become an actress. Even though she was sleeping with a director, he wouldn't play favorites but instead would help her with her acting and then cast her if she was sufficient.

On Valentine's Day, Lafayette had been so busy he didn't go on any dates but instead he fell asleep at nine o'clock, the earliest I've ever seen him sleep, but of course he woke up at four in the morning to work out. The fifteenth was the anniversary of when Marcus jumped from a building. He had been in a coma for nine years, which is insane to me. Lafayette pretended it was a normal day, but the natural glow he had wasn't there and he would smoke an occasional cigar, a blunt later on in the evening before bed.

Lafayette decided to take his company international. He had kind of done that, only taking some departments over to Europe, but his companies had done so well here in America he wanted to take them everywhere. He told me he wanted to do everything this year. That's all he said. He didn't tell me how far "everything" went but I didn't ask. He didn't beat around the bush. He wanted these companies built and ready to go in so many places in the world. He started with Lafayette Construction in all the countries, and so people would help build these companies and then they would employ them and start building the economy. He wanted to have that finished by December. He told me we were going to do a lot of traveling this year. Also, in March, Michael celebrated his 31st birthday on the fifteenth.

So, those three months were hectic, and Lafayette was all over the news. I was even in a few pictures, which made me feel pretty cool. And the New York Times even interviewed me. I said, "Mr. Jeff is a very ambitious man and all of his plans for this will get done and will be highly effective to the world." And hell yeah they used that quote. Lafayette said he wished I had said something like, "Faye is one hell of a man and he's about to fuck this shit up," but I went a more professional route.

When Lafayette said he wanted to change things this year, he meant it. He made a to-do list.

1. Cut off his parents.
2. Get the schools started.
3. Go international.
4. End the underground business.
5. Deal with Marcus.

Those were his main goals. He had many smaller goals he wanted to do, which he could easily do in between then.

I told him since Marcus's birthday was coming up it'd be a good idea to do whatever he had to do with him. I figured he'd just leave him a letter or something, but I guess not. He put it off and instead decided he'd cut off his parents and the rest of his family first. He said I didn't have to go and I was kind of relieved. I waited up for him in the flat, not sure what to expect. I bought a box of chocolate caramels for him, just in case, and rolled a blunt for him (he taught me how over the past few weeks, still not as good as he was). I didn't think it'd be too bad, but he came in with a bruise on his cheek.