Chapter 3

"Emerson!

I looked up to the voice that called my name. I faced a sleek, black Rolls Royce. The window was rolled down and Mr. Jeff was smirking at me from the driver's seat.

"Hop in," he said. How did he know I rode the bus to work?

I climbed into the passenger seat. "Where to?" I asked, because he had two hours before he had to be any where.

"Shopping," he said.

Oh right. They said I'd go shopping with him. They acted devious while saying that though, and it made me nervous. I mean, what's so wrong with shopping? I discovered the reason once we made it to Lafayette Fashion. We went upstairs, past all the departments and up a spiral staircase to the smaller second floor. I could tell it was his personal tailor. There were racks and shelves of clothes waiting to be worn and tailored. So many colors and fabrics, shoes, ties, jackets, and socks. Pants and shirts and vests. Everything.

"Hello Mr. Jeff," greeted a middle-aged man in a pinstripe suit.

"Hello Marion," Mr. Jeff replied.

"Here for something new huh?"

"No, not me. My assistant. Emerson this is Marion Rodriguez. Marion, this is my new assistant Emerson Lane.

"Ah, so you're the new Donald," he said.

"Yeah, that's me," I said shyly.

"Well Mr. Lane we'll take great care of you. Carla!" A woman with a black ponytail, glasses and a sultry walk approached us. "Take Emerson and measure him up alright?"

"Of course. Come with me," she said and led me to a different part of the floor in front of some mirrors. I could see Mr. Jeff and Mr. Rodriquez talking to each other but wasn't sure what they were saying. They'd glance at me every now and then and it just made me turn red more. 

She finished the measurements and walked over to her boss, him saying something to her quietly. She smiled a little and glanced up at Mr. Jeff, who just had the same smirk on his face. They took me towards the clothes and made me try on some things and then Carla and a few other people would sew things in and make them fit. They gave me an outfit to wear for the rest of the day, a pair of lighter blue dress pants with a black belt and white button-up, and a beige jacket. I was totally sickening. I looked great.

"The remainder of your clothing will be sent to the office," Mr. Jeff said on the way to the office. "Half of the clothes will stay there and then the other half you can take home tonight. Michael will drive you home today so you don't have to carry all of them on the bus."

"Why would half stay at the office?" I asked.

"In case you end having to stay the night there or if we're going some place that requires nicer clothing. This is just casual wear."

"Will this be coming out of my paycheck?" I asked.

"Em, you don't have to even worry about your paycheck when you're working as my assistant. I set up your direct deposit and you get paid every Friday. But no, it's not out of your paycheck.."

"You know you didn't have to," I mumbled. Of course, he wanted to.

"Nonsense. You'll discover that you get more than just a paycheck with me, Em. If we have to go to Chicago or L.A. then you won't have to worry about transportation. If we have to go to dinner somewhere then don't worry about the tab. You getta do a lot of different things, Em."

"I just always feel bad about taking people's money and not returning it," I said. 

"Em," he said as he pulled up to the building. He looked over at me. "Surely you should know that money isn't that important considering on how much I make in a year. A thousand dollars to me is like a dollar to the average American." He sighed. "Which is quite sad in the end."