Chapter Thirty Five

(I love that gif :D)

It was warm, and he was comfortable, was Ratchet's first noticed when he woke that morning; he was in Optimus's berthroom, wrapped in blanket and resting on the berth, but had not yet opened his optics, he was far too relaxed to fully wake. There was a soft thump every couple of seconds... Ratchet recognized it as a sparkbeat. Not his own, it was too loud. He heard a soft mumble of unintelligible words in a familiar voice. Ratchet's optics slowly opened, and upon realizing his position, he immediately stiffened.

He was snuggled up against Optimus's chestplates, who had his arms around him, mumbling softly in his recharge. He must've climbed into the berth during the night and joined him, after the whole Megatron ordeal.

Ratchet had no idea what to do; he laid there stiffly, until a soft smile came to Optimus's relaxed face.

"I hoped you wouldn't wake for a bit longer," he murmured, opening his optics, and gazing down at his mate. "I haven't gotten to hold you like this for a few days now."

"I-I..." Ratchet struggled to find words. "I... didn't think..."

Optimus smiled bigger. "I promise you, you needn't be worried. I'm much more gentle than Palladium will ever be." He pulled Ratchet closer, so their lips almost touched; Ratchet's optics widened.

"O-Optimus..." Ratchet sputtered, cheeks turning pink as he blushed madly. The Prime closed the distance between them and kissed him, a loving passion pouring from his side of the bond rapidly; Ratchet couldn't bring himself to pull away. Instead, he found himself slowly melting into it, finding a secure feeling in the Prime that he hadn't in Palladium. This mech was different.

The Prime's servos took hold of Ratchet's waist and pulled the medic on top of himself, as the kiss intensified. Ratchet stiffened slightly, but didn't pull away, only snuggled up to Optimus. But when Optimus lightly brushed his glossa against the medic's lower lip, politely requesting entrance, and his servos started to drift lower than his waist, Ratchet withdrew, slightly afraid this would go farther than he was comfortable with.

"I uh..." He murmured, cheeks growing hot. "I..."

Optimus smiled weakly. "I understand, and I apologize for going too far. I should've stayed within your comfort level." He said softly, sighing.

"I still don't know if I trust you completely yet..." Ratchet shrugged weakly. "I'm so thankful that you protected me, but... I don't know if I trust you in... that way," he averted his gaze and blushed.

Optimus tilted his helm, gazing up at his mate. "Then why did you kiss back?" He asked.

"I..." The medic looked back at him. "I... feel like I know you, but I don't. I feel like I've known you forever... and I feel some haven in you... it makes me feel safe." Optimus reached up and cupped his cheek, smiling.

"When I get that chip out of your spark, things will be better." He whispered. "Last night, it was because of the chip that Megatron was able to travel to your subconscious. I pray he won't do it again, but he is unpredictable..."

Ratchet smiled. "And yesterday I thought you were trying to poison me."

"Hardly my nature." The Prime gazed up at his mate with loving optics, before carefully pulling Ratchet down from on top of him and settling him down at his side. Ratchet relaxed, sighing.

"I can't believe how much I'm trusting you," he breathed, staring at the ceiling. "But... I guess you've sort of proved that you aren't the enemy." He thought for a moment, before looking at Optimus. "....Didn't you say... I carried a sparkling?"

A huge smile came to Optimus's lips. "I'll get her." He stood, and left the room. Ratchet sat up and waited patiently, biting his lips nervously. Had Optimus forced him to carry this sparkling, or was it his choice...? Optimus came back into the room, and in one arm, was a little bundle of blankets, two little servos reaching out and upward toward the Prime that held it. Optimus smiled at Ratchet. "Would you like to meet your daughter?"

Ratchet gave a tiny nod; the Prime carried the sparkling over and sat down beside him, carefully setting her in Ratchet's arms, who immediately locked gazes with her pretty blue optics. Lightswipe cooed and reached up for him, bringing a smile to his lips. He stroked her cheek with his index digit, and she wrapped her tiny servos around it, giggling softly.

"What's her name?" Ratchet asked, not breaking optic-contact with her, still smiling.

Optimus draped an arm around him, a soft look on his face. "Lightswipe," he replied.

"She's... she's beautiful." The medic whispered, gently pulling his digit when she started to chew on it. "Uh... Did I... carry her against my will, or... did you..." He trailed off, biting his lip.

"It wasn't against your will." Optimus replied. "I'd never be able to live with myself if I had forced you to... I could never bring myself to hurt you." He hugged Ratchet close.

Ratchet smiled as she yawned, and fell into recharge, drooling slightly. "I'm glad. So... about the data chip? Do you know how to remove it?" He asked after a moment.

"No... but I'll figure it out." Optimus sighed. "Then things will be back to normal..."

"Do you think Megatron will continue to use the chip to affect me in my subconscious?"

An angry look came to Optimus's face at the mention of the Warlord. "He's far from predictable..." He growled. "If he tries what he did last night..."

Ratchet tensed. "I'm scrapped."

"No... I won't let that happen." The Prime shook his helm. "He'll never terminate you while I function."

Heaving a sigh, Ratchet gazed at Lightswipe's sleeping form. "How did we ever get into this mess..."