Chapter Fourteen

A mournful gasp escaped Ratchet, horror hitting him hard and fast, as Optimus stumbled over his own words, trying to soften the blow. Telling his mate of Nightdaze's death was difficult, it shattered Optimus's spark into bits to see Ratchet in despair.

"N-No..." Ratchet murmured, shock making it hard to speak. He felt lightheaded, like his legs couldn't support him, as the bad news dawned on him severely. Taking one step back, stumbling and nearly falling, Ratchet gave a quiet whimper; the sound made Optimus cringe.

The Prime went to him immediately, supporting the medic and holding him close to his chesplating, both arms around him. Ratchet clung to him tight, biting back another whimper, the warmth of his mate bringing a somewhat comforting feeling.

"My condolences," Optimus said softly, "I am truly sorry."

"I-I-I-" Ratchet began, but was cut off.

"Shhhhh," His mate shushed him. "Don't speak.."

Ratchet snuggled into Optimus and buried his faceplate in the Prime's chestplates, giving a couple mournful whimpers, it being the only sound he could muster without his voice cracking. He had known Nightdaze well, shared multiple memories with her. She was a good femme, never deserved any of this... it snapped his spark in two, knowing it was because of his friendship with her, Megatron knew where to find her.

"I'm truly sorry," Optimus said softly, optics dull with sadness. "If we had gotten there sooner..."

"Optimus d-don't take the blame." Ratchet retorted sharply, surprising the Prime. "I won't let you deem yourself responsible for any more costs of war."

Blinking, Optimus couldn't help a tiny smile. "After all that's happened... you don't think I share a bit of blame?" His voice was soft, gentle.

"I don't." The medic's gaze rose up to meet Optimus's, his blue optics shining with grief. "None of this is your fault."

Optimus turned his helm away, a skeptical frown on his lips, shame pulling at his spark with icy claws. His spark ached, knowing that he had failed to protect Nightdaze, and failed to assist a fellow Autobot in need.

"Optimus..." Ratchet said softly. The Prime didn't respond, or look at him. "Optimus," he repeated. "Don't ignore me.."

Optimus turned his helm a millimeter, acknowledging his mate ever so slightly.

"Look at me," Ratchet begged, his voice lowered to a whisper as he desperately pleaded to his mate.

Keeping his optics averted in guilt, Optimus turned his helm and looked at the medic.

Ratchet slipped his servos around his mate's neck, and claimed Optimus's lips in a gentle kiss, a blush coming to his cheeks and his spark beating faster. Optimus gave a sad whimper into the kiss before returning it, accepting his mate's comfort, his arms drifting around Ratchet's waist and pulling him closer. Love and affection drifted across the bond, comforting each other.

"I won't let anything happen to you or our sparkling..." Optimus whispered when they parted, running his digits over Ratchet's middle lovingly.

Ratchet slid his servo up and cupped his mate's cheek. "I know." 

Optics now shining a loving glint, Optimus scooped Ratchet up bridal style and began down the hall, towards their apartment. He punched in the code, and entered, carrying a slightly surprised Ratchet towards their berthroom. The Prime laid his mate down on the berth gently, a sweet smile on his lips.

"You won't leave tonight?" Ratchet asked quietly. "You'll stay with me?"

"Of course." Optimus laid down beside him, pulling him close, his optics soft.

Ratchet snuggled close to him, kissing the Prime's jawline gently, nipping playfully as he continued down Optimus's neck. Optimus gasped as Ratchet gave a sensitive spot a gentle bite, nuzzling him affectionately.

"Nn.. Ratchet.. I-I'm ticklish... be gentle..." He stuttered, as Ratchet smirked at him and gave a harder bite. A yelp escaped his lips, making his mate smirk even more.

"A-Alright, little glitch," Optimus hissed playfully, before rolling over so he was on top of Ratchet (careful not to crush the poor medic) and pinned him down, optics gleaming with fake and pretend evil. "You want to play that way?"

Ratchet stared up at him with a smile on his lips. "Let me go, Decepticon scum!" He yelped playfully, giving small amounts of struggle. He was rather surprised when he found that Optimus really did have him pinned, and he couldn't really successfully struggle.

The Prime began to nip and kiss at Ratchet's neck, until he found a sensitive and ticklish spot, and began to bite a little rougher at it.

"Ack! Optimus!" Ratchet half yelped half laughed. "O-Optimus that tickles!"

"You won't escape me!" Optimus teased, biting harder at the spot, drawing a quiet moan from Ratchet.

"Nnnn... nnnACK! Primus- Optimus that tickles!" Ratchet gasped, squirming a little.

Optimus's lips left his neck, and met those of the medic's, kissing him passionately. Ratchet blushed like mad, returning it lovingly. He yelped into Optimus's lips when a tiny kick was felt in his middle.

"Th-The sparkling..." Ratchet whispered, as Optimus broke the kiss. "It k-kicked..."

A bright shine came to Optimus's optics, and he placed his servo over his mate's abdomen.

"Do it again, little one, for your sire?" He said softly, smiling. Sure enough, the sparkling gave another kick.

"It already knows you," Ratchet smiled, placing his servo atop Optimus's, his voice barely higher than a whisper.

Optimus kissed his cheek. "It also knows it wants sleep. Get some rest."

The medic rolled his optics, but relaxed, as the Prime settled beside him.

"Goodnight, Ratchet."

~~

"Optimus we need to evacuate." Arcee stated dryly, optics clouded with hate as she glared at the computer screen.

"Evacuate?" An olive green wrecker, Bulkhead, scoffed. "Do you mean, desert the planet?"

"We can't stay!"

"Arcee, calm down." Cliffjumper put a servo on her shoulder.

::Where will we go?:: Bumblebee asked, optics round with fear.

"We'll have to find a suitable planet that can support life..." Ratchet murmured thoughtfully, gazing up at Optimus.

The Prime looked rather grim about the subject. "I've been doing research, and have found a planet rich with energon." He looked around at the five bots standing around him. "Half of each side has already departed Cybertron and are nowhere to be found... it's time we left as well. Will all of you accompany me to a planet called Earth?"

Ratchet moved closer. "Of course."

::Always.:: Bumblebee agreed.

"Frag yeah!" Bulkhead pounded his fists together.

"Completely entirely." Cliffjumper flashed a thumbs up.

Arcee nodded.

"We depart late tonight. Pack all your belongings, and as much energon as you can." Optimus ordered, slipping an arm around Ratchet.

That night, they would depart for Earth.