EPILOGUE

After battle, everyone headed back to the compound, except for Jack and Aaron; they headed into Bevelon with Nicolas. I waited for their return in the living room as I watched Lana and Ana paint beautiful images.

At the sound of the door to the living room opening, I lurched to my feet and froze when Aaron walked in with Jack right behind him.

"So what happened?"

Jack smiled. "I have become a member of the head council. They weren't many pleased, but I think they were afraid of ending up like the vampire King."

"Did Seth took his spot?"

Aaron nodded.

I hesitated, afraid of what the answer to my next question would be. "What about the humans?"

Both men glanced at each other for a brief moment. Jack seemed glad when Anna called him over so that he could help her finish her finger painted image of multiple flowers, each of a unique color.

"So, what was decided about the humans?"

Aaron ran a hand through his tousled hair. "A new system is being developed."

"What do you mean by that? They will remain behind walls like rats?"

Aaron shook his head. "No, the walls will be torn down, but you have to give it time. My father can't just open the gates and drop the force fields. Where would they go? Who would protect the humans from those exiled long ago?"

I pondered for a moment. He had a good point. There was no where they could go. I doubted they would feel comfortable in towns and cities run by the creatures they were taught to fear and hate, to never trust.

"How long?"

"I'm not certain."

"Will their still be chosen ones every year?"

He shook his head. "But anyone can volunteer for any of the jobs that will be offered."

"Well I hope he keeps his word."

"He will."

I glanced at Anna who was finishing her painting with the help of her father. "And Isabella?"

"You should ask Jack about that since I am still trying to understand how he managed to convince my father not to kill her along with your ancestor."

Jack rose to his feet and told the girls to go to the kitchen, that Catherine and my mother had made cupcakes for them. Then he stood beside me. "It wasn't that difficult to convince him."

"But after everything—she was alive and never bothered contacting you or Catherine."

"She is still my mother."

Aaron looked at him, curiosity written all over his face. "So what did you tell him?"

"My mother is his true mate, so he couldn't kill her."

"Why not?"

Jack smiled. "Because he seeks a powerful bloodline, which he will have guaranteed with my mother."