CHAPTER NINETEEN

BLOOD LUST

I sat frozen on the bed for what seemed like an eternity, wearing Aaron's collared shirt. His bite couldn't be deadly to me. It just couldn't. Weren't we  supposedly destined to be together?

I would have thought that it was nothing but a damn excuse since our species hated each other, but those eyes staring intently at me didn't hold any disgust in them. On the contrary, I could see the love he claimed to feel for me. The fact I was a vampire now had changed nothing between us.

"Since when did you know the truth about me?"

"Since we met, but no one knew whether you would even change or not. You had turned eighteen...and nothing had happened, so we assumed the gene skipped you."

My eyes narrowed as I stared at my hands. I blinked rapidly as I fought to not cry, recalling my mother's expression at the way my father had spoken about the supernaturals.

"My mother—"

"Yes...Luke noticed the moment he walked into your home...every single guard noticed."

My eyes widened as I remembered managing to save the boy from getting run over. "Why didn't you tell me anything?"

He averted his gaze. "Usually, humans don't inherit the gene, so we didn't think it was necessary to tell you when you would continue to age just like any human and never shift...Part of me did want to tell you, but then again, I didn't think you would believe me."

I smiled as I met his gaze. "You're right. I would have thought you were nuts." At his chuckle, my heart fluttered.

When I stood and made my way to him, his eyes never left mine. I stopped inches away before placing my hand over his chest, loving the effects it evoked. He took my hand in his, eyes flickering amber as he placed a kiss on my knuckles.

"Forgive me."

"For what?"

Pain flickered in his eyes. "For failing you—"

"Don't—What happened wasn't your fault. You couldn't have anticipated that Jack would attack the place."

He pulled back, still holding of my hand, leading me into the bathroom where he grabbed one of the many small towels folded in the built-in shelf beside the mirror above the sink.

Keeping my gaze on the ground, I tried not to glance at my reflection. "What are you doing?" He didn't say anything, not even when he began to clean the blood I was unaware that coated my lips. "Are you sure the bite is deadly for me?"

He nodded after he put the now bloodstained towel at the sink and turned to face me. "I have bitten many vampires during battle. Trust me. None of them survived it."

"Maybe it's different in this case...I'm your mate."

"You're also Jackson's beloved now." He almost growled out the words, his eyes flashing gold.

When a knock came at the door, Aaron opened. Eliot raised an eyebrow as he glanced at me, obviously noting that I only wore Aaron's shirt. He held back a smile as he said, "We need to talk."

"I'm sure whatever it is can wait."

"It's about Luke."

"Go ahead. I won't go anywhere."