CHAPTER TWENTY THREE

THE DECEIT

Jezebel didn't peel her eyes of her brother as he let out his rage on all of the furniture in the study. The wolf was far from pleased. She understood his rage. She too would be outraged if someone dared take Frank from her.

"Please, brother. This doesn't help us at all."

What am I supposed to do now? Jezebel, he has her.

Her heart ached. "I'm sorry...I should have known Seth didn't sent Alexander—I should have taken her to him myself instead."

It's not your fault. That bastard had it all planned out well. I can't sense her no matter how hard I try...and because I broke the mark, now I can't even use that to track her down.

"Father believes that Jackson will try to bargain for her."

The wolf stopped at the center of the room, snarling. Do you trust father?

She hesitated, wishing she could, but she knew well what her father was capable of in order to maintain order. Many wouldn't like the idea of Jackson in the council without even putting it to vote.

And no one would ever vote for a hybrid to become one of the council members.

I don't know...

Aaron finally shifted to his human form, breathing labored. "I failed her."

Jezebel stepped closer and hugged him, not knowing what to tell him. Nothing would ever ease the guilt he felt at the moment. As she pulled back, her father walked into the room, glancing around at the mess.

"What's going on?"

"In a month, I will meet with Jackson."

"What does he want in return for Kendra?" Asked Aaron.

"A place in the council."

"Then give it to him." When their father didn't say anything, Aaron stepped closer, stopping when she grabbed his forearm. "Father, Kendra—"

"I will do everything I can to bring her back safely...But nothing guarantees that Jackson will keep his word."

"He won't harm her..."

Jezebel stared at her brother with curiosity. "How can you be so certain?"

Aaron averted his gaze, eyes deepening. "No soulmate would ever dare hurt one another..."

"I've witnessed many kill their soulmates without hesitation," their father said. "Jackson should have been taken care off after we won the war. I made the mistake of giving him a second chance, but this time...I will not be so merciful."

When he turned to leave, Jezebel stood in his way. "What are you talking about? Father—"

"Right after what happened, Jackson became consumed with vengeance and murdered every human who had helped trap him...Of course, he did so after  killing all of their families, wanting them to feel his pain..." Their father paused. "I do not blame the boy, but someone so unstable should never stand in the council. We cannot rule with our emotions...It would lead to nothing but chaos."