CHAPTER ONE☑

June 15, 2104

SECTOR FIFTEEN

WITH THE EARPHONES in place, I jogged down the street to my home at the center of Sector 15—one of the many human sectors around the world. Sweat glistened my body as I pushed my legs to move faster, wanting to arrive home before sunset; the streets were not safe for anyone at night.

Two small children played in the front yard of a white house with a red ball. The girl with two ponytails tossed it over the boy's head, sending it bouncing into the street. My eyes widened as I tried to pick up pace to prevent a disaster from happening.

But I wasn't going to get there in time.

With a cry, I pushed my legs faster toward the boy who had crossed the street without looking, unaware of the upcoming sleek black automobile. The screech of tires reached my ears as I wrapped my arms around the boy and managed to jump out of the way before the front of the car impacted us, probably sending both of us to the hospital in critical condition.

Too stunned to move, I held the boy in my arms, wondering how I had managed to get to him in time. I jerked away when someone grabbed my arm. The vampire guard grabbed the child from my arms and led him back to the front yard after stooping down to retrieve the ball. The elegant armor they wore almost made them look like a prince from the many books I read to my baby sister, but I knew better than to believe the facade; beneath that handsome exterior hid a terrifying creature.

After pulling the headphones back, I faced the guard who approached me with curiosity in his eyes. When I turned my head, I froze. There was a group of men at the corner of the street, engrossed in what appeared to be a secret conversation; they were all whispering things to each other, eyes locked on the guard as if making sure he didn't pry into their conversation.

Hopefully, this wasn't another attempt at planning a riot against the guards. Last time they had tried, three people had lost their lives, including one guard; however, the guard, of course, returned back to life after being shot in the head, but the humans...they weren't so lucky.

Why couldn't they just make the best of this?

It had been almost one hundred years since the supernatural creatures took over. Even though sometimes it did feel as if I was a rat locked in a cage, I always tried to see the bright side. They could have annihilated everyone, but instead, we were shown mercy.

All the families in the sector had a home, a job and their kids were given the opportunity to attend the small academy located at the front gates beside the registration office. It was like a small town barricaded by large concrete walls.

"Are you okay?"

I nodded, lifting my hand to put the earphones over my ears again, but a warm hand caught my wrist. As I met his deep chocolate eyes, my heart palpitated wildly in my chest.

"How did you managed to get the boy in time?"

"I train...I'm pretty fast." And I was.

Last year, a competition had been held. The winner received $2,500. I won with a record that I was certain no one would ever beat. The money might not seem like much to some, but to me, it had helped pay for the bills slowly accumulating in my household.

Life wasn't easy in Sector 15—it probably wasn't in any sector—but I was thankful that my family had good health, food on the table and a roof over their heads. If no one provoked the guards, life in the sector didn't seem horrible.

Well, at least to me.

Many other people would probably beg to differ.

I held back a sigh of relief when he released my wrist. "Would you like me to take you home?"