V2: Chapter Thirty Three

Even though she dreaded it, she had no complaints when the serene forest replaced the large buildings and noises of the city. She despised how short the ride seemed; usually, it felt like an eternity, but today, when she did not want to go, time seemed to fly by.

When they were stopped at the entrance of the territory, her eyes narrowed in bewilderment as she spotted a group of wolves, all armed and ready for any attack. There was always a team patrolling the area, but never this heavily armed or so many.

Her eyes narrowed when one of those guarding the entrance stood beside the car and Vance pressed the button that brought all the car windows down. "What's going on?"

"The alphas have ordered for everyone's identity to be confirmed upon entering the territory."

He stretched his hand out to her, a small square object in hand. She put her index finger on it and felt a pinch. Then, the object shone green, confirming she was who she claimed to be and not an imposter. The same process was done with everyone.

"Go ahead."

The moment Vance drove down the rocky path that led to the homes of the pack, she knew she should have never come; there were cars parked at either side. Way too many, which indicated that this was not a meeting for just her pack.

Sweat glistened her hands and she wiped them on her skirt, noting how they were shuddering. She ran her quivering hands through her pink and blue ombre hair and tried to remain composed.

"Is everything okay?" Vance asked.

"Jackson invited everyone in Bevelon?"

"Yes, every pack was invited."

That meant that he was here. And his wife. After Vance shut off the car, she didn't get out. She couldn't stay here. If she did, he would find her. She had tried so hard to hide from him all these years...

At a hand on her forearm, the storm within calmed. She inhaled and closed her eyes, latching on to the effects so she wouldn't lose her mind. It was astounding how Vance could have such effects on her when they weren't even mates, but then again, their wolves obviously had a strong connection to each other.

She inhaled and exhaled. "I'm fine."

"Why do you continue to distance yourself from me?" The pain laced in his voice made her heart ache.

"I have my reasons, Vance." When she felt him loosening his hold, she stopped him. It was selfish, but she didn't want him to let her go. If he did, she would be consumed by the horrific memories that haunted her still even after years of therapy.

Their gazes met as she took hold of his hand, loving all the sparks that she had missed. She remembered how close they were back then, of all the nights they had relaxed together simply watching their favorite movies...laughing...forgetting about everything around them.

She raised his hand to her cheek and leaned into it, fluttering her eyes closed. The heat within returned with vengeance. It was irritating how it could stop and return over and over through the entire night. Some moments she would think it would be over for it to only return tenfold.

Not intending to, she led his hand down her neck, across her collarbone and down the low v-neckline of her top, losing herself in the sweet sensation his touch created. When their gazes met again, his eyes were pitch-black with a golden glow.

"Lana?"  At the high-pitch voice beside her door, Lana jumped, startled and let his hand go. Ann laughed, propping her hand on the opened window. "I see you two are trying to reminisce."

Lana got out of the car before Vance followed suit. Ann handed her the herb tea that she knew would help her with her heat. Although, at the moment, the tea wasn't what she desired. Just the thought of Vance having his sweet way with her had her hot all over again. She drunk the tea perhaps too quickly. The coldness of it shot down her throat and through out all of her body.