V2: Chapter Thirty-Nine

Vance picked Lana up in his arms and headed to the clinic of the pack doctor a couple of houses down. By the time they walked through the sliding doors and into one of the many empty rooms, everything was being prepared. Vance laid her down on the bed before Diana, with a smile, placed a hand on her bump.

"It seems that your child is eager to meet you."

Lana shook her head. "It's not my due date yet."

Kevin, the pack doctor walked in. "It's okay Lana. Relax."

"What—What will happen if he is born now?"

He looked at Vance then back at her. "He is two weeks early, but don't worry. There are many pups born this long into the pregnancy and are healthy as a full-term."

She smiled as tears of excitement flooded down her cheeks. "Where is Brent?"

"I'm right here." Brent actually fought his way through and held her hand. Lana gave his hand a squeeze when the pain intensified. Everyone looked at Vance, presumably expecting him to kick Brent out, but to Lana's surprise, he didn't.

Before she knew it, everything had been prepared for the arrival of her baby. Of course, the doctor forced everyone to leave. Brent gave her a kiss on the forehead and met her gaze. "I'll be right outside." Once out of the room, the doctor told Vance to stand beside her so that he wouldn't be in their way. If anything went wrong, they would have to do an emergency c-section.

When she felt immense pressure, she grasped Vance's hand and squeezed. Within seconds, she was pushing with every contraction, her body glistening with sweat. Denise smiled at her, putting a cool cloth on her forehead. "It's like you're a pro, Lana. Just keep it up. Whenever you feel the tightening in your stomach push as hard as you can."

"I see the head!" Kevin said with a smile. "And he has a lot of hair."

One more push and the baby was out. He was taken away so that he could be checked by the nurses to make sure he was doing okay. Lana tried to sit up, but Vance stopped her. Her eyes narrowed when she felt lightheaded. When she voiced her concern, Vance was handed a liquid that he gave to her.

"That should help you restore some of your---" The doctor stopped speaking, his eyes growing wide. Lana knew she had to push the placenta out, but those cries told her that was another baby. Her eyes grew wide as the doctor chuckled. "What a surprise. Another boy." He handed the baby to one of the nurses who took him to weigh him, looking as happy as everyone else.

To the pack, children were a gift from the goddess. A pup didn't just bring happiness to the new parents but to the entire pack. She knew well that everyone would bathe her child in lots of love.

They handed Vance the first baby. With too big of a smile, he faced Lana and handed her the baby with lots of blond hair. Lana took the baby in her arms and gave him a kiss on the forehead, silent tears of happiness trickling down her cheeks.

When her second baby was brought to her, she noticed the hesitation on Vance's part when he began to rub the vernix into the babies' skin. Even though both babies appeared tiny, both weighed seven pounds and were twenty inches tall. Lana smiled at Kevin clearly trying to comprehend how he had missed the second one.

After making sure that they were all doing good, Lana was moved to a room where she was going to stay for an entire five days. Clearly, the doctor wanted to make sure that they were all okay before he allowed her to go home.

Ann walked into the room, a dazzling smile on her lips. Brent followed a couple of steps behind. The second they spotted the two cribs, they both came to a halt, looking beyond stunned.