CHAPTER THREE☑

June 16, 2104

REGISTERING

MY EYES SNAPPED open after a gunshot tore through the air. To my surprise, the guard, who had aimed his weapon in our direction, fell on his knees, his armor broken at the center of his heart. I stood glued to the floor as Sammy came from behind the guard and raised his gun toward the other, shooting him without a second thought.

The bullet struck the forehead of the other guard. He fell backward to the floor, unmoving. Sammy pressed the gun against the guard who was gasping for air, clenching his chest, as if desperately trying to take out the bullet that had clearly pierced through his armor.

Not capable of witnessing more deaths, I squeezed my eyes shut. A soft gasp escaped my lips when a hand seized hold of my wrist. I opened my eyes to find Sammy in front of me, covered in blood from head to toe.

"Come on, we need to find your families." He tugged me toward the stadium.

I looked over my shoulder toward Nick and Bonnie. He held her hand as they followed us. She sobbed softly, eyes averting everywhere. Around us, gunshots were fired over and over; some by the guards, others by a group of humans, part of the resistance.

Zoe came into my view, running towards us, her head low in an attempt to avoid any bullet shot in her direction. When she was close enough, I grabbed her arm, stopping her in her tracks.

"Have you seen my family?"

She nodded. "They were right behind me."

"Kendra!" At the high-pitched voice of my sister, I released Sammy's hand and Zoe, darting in their direction. Lana ran toward me, and I stooped down to pick her up when she was close. She wrapped her arms around me, sobbing softly.

"Cover your ears, okay?"

She nodded, placing her small pale hands over her ears. The terror in her eyes tore right through me. My parents wrapped their arms around me, my mom sobbing weakly. My eyes narrowed in confusion when everything fell into pin-drop silence.

All the humans with the guns dropped them to the ground and cried out, holding a hand against the barcode imprinted since birth into their flesh. A dark humorless laugh resonated through the sector. In the stadium, where I had walked down from minutes ago, stood a young blond-haired male, shaking his head.

He raised a microphone towards his lips. "I believe I have permitted this to go on for far too long." When an older male stood behind him, my eyes widened; the golden crown on his head meant he was one of the kings. From where I stood, I couldn't tell whether it was the werewolf king or the vampire king—not like it mattered. Either way, this meant we were in great trouble and were going to be berated horribly.

The young male holding the microphone raised his hand and a couple of humans, who had shot against the guards, fell to the ground, clenching their wrist. Eyes wide with horror, I watched as the barcode in their skin slowly turned pitch-black then they all stopped moving. I turned around and smacked Sammy's handgun out of his hand and kicked it away; we didn't need them to believe we were part of the group trying to revolt against them.

The male's eyes scanned the open field. When his gaze fell on something behind me, I looked over my shoulder to find Bonnie, holding Zoe's arm for dear life. Zoe wrapped her other arm around her, clearly struggling to hold back the tears. Nick stood behind them and wrapped his arms around both of them.