Chapter 17- Syn (Edited)

Two weeks had passed quickly for the Shadow Warriors, and it was almost time for Syn to try and defeat the Shadows and close the portal. She was nervous, deadly nervous and afraid. She didn't know what was going to happen, but something told her that she was going to loose her brother, even if it meant that gaining something in return.

"Are you alright?" her brother asked from beside her from where she had been making her hair into braided bun. Concern laced his tone, causing her to pause and look up at him with a pointed look. "You've been doing your braid all over again, and- oh." He stopped what he was going to say, knowing what Syn would say by her look.

Syn sighed and shook her head, fixing her hair into a new braid and pulled it into a bun. "No," she said, her voice shaking. "I'm not alright. I don't know if I will be." She pulled at her bottom lip with her teeth and turned to look away from her brother. Her fingers shook, and she hated just how scared and nervous she was about tomorrow.

She felt her brother peek into her thoughts, but she didn't reprimand him or tease him. She knew that her brother would try to help her with whatever she needed, and she hoped that he could help out with her troubling thoughts.

Her brother sighed and pulled her close to him. "You will do fine," he assured her. "You've kicked many of their butts during the days and held out during most long days."

"I can't help it, James," Syn said. "What if..." She stopped and didn't finish her sentence, letting it hang in the air. She leaned her head on her brother's shoulder and sighed. "I'm scared, James. I'm scared that I won't be able to... live."

James sighed. "Whatever happens, happens," he replied. He squeezed her shoulder, and Syn knew that he was feeling uncomfortable because he wasn't the one that showed his feelings. "Come on, I think Razul has food ready for us to eat and then get to bed."

Syn sighed and noded her head. "I'm just glad they will not be attacking tonight. I will be able to get a good night's rest."

"Even though, we are mainly nocturnal," James said, earning a grin from his sister. He patted her shoulder. "Now, let's go." He stood and walked towards the door before looking at the female that hadn't moved from her spot on the bed. A smirk was on his face, causing Syn to raise an eyebrow. "If you don't want to eat, I'll take your food," he added, causing Syn to scoff.

Ever since they had lived here, Syn and James had been getting better food than they could ever imagine. After eating sandwiches and dried, processed food for a long while, they had forgotten what food could really taste like.

They had always scuffled to see who would get the most food and who would get the least. They even fought on who would be served first and sometimes stole the others food.

Razul just watched amused at them and made sure that both of them had enough to eat. He would tease them, causing James to scowl and Syn to laugh.

Syn rolled her eyes watching her brother walk out of the door and started to go down to the kitchen. She knew that she wouldn't be able to stop him when he got there, so all she did was shake her head and stood. "If you touch my food, you will die," she yelled out, earning a chuckle from her brother.

She grinned, glad that she could get her brother to chuckle at some times, even with his cold demeanor and his not caring attitude. Syn knew that he had just had a hard time showing his emotions, but she hoped that one day he would be able to get some help and actually show them.

However, she knew that it was just wishful thinking on her part and didn't try anything to him.

Syn sighed, and again, shook her head before she followed her brother out of the room and down to the kitchen. She hoped that she had caught her brother before he had too much fun eating her food, even with her late arrival.