45.

(A/N) Don't kill me at the end.

"How is she?" I am surprised by his first question. I would had thought he would have asked how in the world Anna told me if she's been dead for years. I walk over to him and say,

"She's good." I simply say, not wanting to go into depth since I still worry he might have feelings for her. I know it would be awfully unlikely for him to, but still. Anna seemed to feel something for the older man, but I don't think she would ever want to be with him again, if that is even possible.

"I'm glad. I can imagine she is happy with you." It seems to slightly pain him to hear those words leave his lips, but somehow I manage not to pay much attention. Instead I just listen to the old man. "I tried keeping you from Anna, but I can clearly tell you have a fondness for her." I tilt my head to the side and ask,

"What do you mean you tried keeping Anna from me?" Charlie merely laughs, while shaking his head.

"I thought you would had caught onto me." I am still confused at what he is saying. I can not remember a time that he had tried to keep me from her, nothing seems to strike a memory as I think back.

"Stunning blonde comes out of nowhere and immediately falls head over heels for you, does that ring a bell?" There's only one girl that is coming to mind, but it couldn't be, could it? I mean, it would make sense, but I had really thought she cared deeply for me and wasn't faking it all.

"Jane? Jane was the detour?" He smiles and shakes his head 'yes'. I honestly cannot believe what I am hearing. So she was faking this whole time? Charlie done this to keep me away from Anna?

"Pretty clever if I say so myself. Sisters can come in handy sometimes," He laughs, shaking his head. Again, I am surprised. Jane is Charlie's sister? I mean I do vaguely remember Jane telling me about how her brother used to work at the Sexton House, but I could have swore she said he died.

"She's your sister? So you had her fake liking me to keep me away from your old fling with Anna?" I cannot believe what I am saying or hearing. He nods his head as I am still in shock, this is crazy.

"Except one thing, she was only faking in the beginning... She actually really cares about you now, but I guess you told her you had your eyes on another girl and I also guess my plan to keep you away from my old love failed." I still feel bad for ending whatever I had with Jane, but I couldn't lead her on while I was obviously falling in love with someone else.

"And I'm really sorry about that." I guess when she was faking it, It all felt real for me and I liked her, but as soon as she felt something for me I had already moved on.

"I understand. I'm glad you broke it off before she fell anymore in love with you." The 'L' word seems to hit me like a train. Yes, I knew she liked me, but loved? I felt like I barely knew her. How could she be in love with me?

You seem shocked." I nod my head and he seems to understand.

"Love is one of the most strangest and dangerous things this world offers. One can be madly in love with a person while the other is a oblivious to the ones affection." I take in the old geezers words and take them to heart. He is completely and utterly right about that. Jane and I proved that point together. As I continue to stand in front of Charlie, a thought comes to mind and I honestly can't believe I didn't think to ask him it earlier.

"Anna died like a hundred years ago, so how are you still alive? And Jane, how is she still alive?" I hadn't even thought how this was possible, I knew Anna was dead, but it never struck me that Charlie and Jane were too. This whole situation is so strange.