Chapter 29

Juliet

I was becoming crazy as the days went by, knowing Blake was in the field, having limited to no contact with him.

I tried to keep busy by looking after Elliot and searching for a job. I didn't find any right away but I applied to the university nearby so that I can start studying. Blake would be coming come in a few days I hoped.

We had one skype call where we just talked for 5 minutes before the connection was lost. He seemed okay, a little shaky but okay.

I sat on the bed with Elliot on my lap bobbing him up and down as I was trying to decide what major I was going in. I didn't feel too excited that I would go study, it meant more time I didn't spend with Elliot and Blake.

Things were becoming worse by the day, each night I sobbed my heart out, Elliot would be asleep but I could see he feels my bad mood even if I don't show it. I tried staying strong but when it gets dark, I crumble. Some days Ava would babysit because she says that she's "Training my man" and because she took some time off to support me.

His mother has been around a couple of times, she didn't know he was in the middle of nowhere, she thought he was on some business trip. I didn't even tell her where he was because she didn't seem to care. 

They had a strange relationship it was civil – the tension would skyrocket when they both were in a room. She seemed to despise him and he didn't care, he told me that because he was involved with the business deal that went wrong and got their father killed, and they didn't testify because they would seem guilty, that she hated them.

"Oh brother, that diaper needs changing" I pulled Elliot into my arms and walked upstairs. As I changed him I looked at the words on the wall

You're the origin of love

I now understand what this means. My love comes from Blake and our love is the origin for Elliot.

After I changed him I put him in the car chair and strapped him in.

"I love you, my dear, today I'm going to take you to see someone that you don't know, but I know he loves you," To anybody else, this would sound crazy but I think he knew exactly what I meant.

I drove to the cemetery, I remember the day that Samuel was buried, still fresh in my mind

The casket was lowered into the ground as Ava and I hugged each other, dressed in black. First, our parents then him.

I stopped near the grave taking Elliot out of his seat and walking to the grave.

The gray granite stone had some little grass flowers poking out beside it. The lot had green grass all around. It wasn't the dirt crusted cemeteries that I usually see, this one had bright green grass and a bench by every other tree.

I turned Elliot around to face the stone.

"This is your uncle, Samuel O'Malley, he would've been thirty today, I knew if he saw you he'd love you, I actually think he does and is watching down on us." I walked a few feet further down the row and stopped at the stones.

These weren't my parents but they were my grandparents. Rosa and Abel O'Malley.

"These are your great-grandparents, I know you won't remember any of this," I sighed. Each year I do this to myself, I come to Samuel's grave and replay the memories I have of him in my head. I'd think of my grandparents and how I wish I knew more about them. My parents didn't have a grave, the accident they died in left nothing of them.

All I still have of them were their wedding photos and some photos of us when we were little.

I sat down on a bench with Elliot.

I didn't want to go home just yet.

I stared out into the distance at the rows of soldier graves, some of them only marked by crosses. I could see a figure walking up the rows. It kind of looked like Blake-oh great now I'm starting to hallucinate. I had Elliot on my hip, I turned him so that he could also look at the figure, maybe I'm seeing ghosts and my eyes are deceiving me.

Great now I'm completely losing my mind, when Blake gets back I don't think he's going to be happy to hear I ended up in an institute, I swear if he ever leaves like this I'm going to castrate him with a blunt knife.

I sat up in a huff, standing up and starting to walk away. The figure continued to walk to me. I stopped, maybe I wasn't losing my mind.

In an army uniform, Blake walked to me. My jaw went slack and my eyes started to water.

I knew I couldn't be dreaming.

"Blake?" My voice was raspy and laced with pain. It was a strain to talk.

"My dear" With those two words I felt my knees giving out on me and I slumped back on the seat, still with Elliot in my arms.

"I knew you'd be here, I'm back," I just sat on the bench for a moment waiting for him to disappear like smoke. He didn't.

"Yo..u are back" He kissed me on the lips softly before taking Elliot from me, Elliot instantly snuggled up to his chest falling asleep. Blake patted his little bottom and kissed his head.

"I thought you weren't coming back until next week."

"I couldn't stay away from you any longer." He kissed me again but this time it was slow, full of yearning for more. He stood up, helping me up with the one hand. His eyes scanned over me in appreciation.

"God, how I've missed you" He smiled.

"How did you know I was here?"

"I talked to Adrian he dropped me off here, Ava said that this is where you go this day of the year." I nodded as we walked down the rows of headstones.

I stopped at Samuel's stone.

"It's my brother's birthday today, " Blake handed Elliot to me and bend down to the patch of grass, he ran his hand slowly on the grass.

"I'm Blake Stone, nice to meet you, Samuel, I promise to take care of both your sisters although they seem very scary on their own," He stood back up.

I punched him in on the shoulder. He rubbed the spot in mock hurt.

"Why did you do that?"

"If you ever do something like what you did for three weeks to me, I swear that I'm going to castrate you with a blunt knife before I end up in a mental asylum." He kissed me on my temple.

"I promise that I'm not going to do that ever again."

"Blake, I've been crying for weeks, I thought for sure that you'll die, your note left me having that nightmare for days. My nightmares consisted of getting that letter that tells me that you died and how it happened being etched into my mind detail by detail."

"I'm not doing that again, I realize now what is important to me and it's you and Elliot, I want to have a big family with you, I want to see the day that Adrian finally says I do and the day Elliot begins to talk, walk, the day he graduates college-I'm not going to leave again."