Chapter 9

Juliet

I sat on the park bench, I didn't cry. I looked at all the children playing and the parents, the happy couples with their children.

I rested my hand on my faint bump.

I saw some of Blake's true colors today, he was agitated by something and exploded. I decided as I walked to the park that I won't continue working there and whoever is after him should just get him already. I wasn't going to be one of his problems anymore.

I called Ava telling her I was moving back and getting another job, once bitten twice shy, so I'm not going to wait for him to change or to care about his problems. Why did I even agree to move in with him? I wasn't safer with him, that's for sure. It was one day too long living with him.

I was stupid enough to believe he cared, that he wanted more than just a professional relationship.

Someone sat next to me on the bench, I noticed it was a guy in his mid-twenties, he had blonde hair and blue eyes, he smiled at me. He was probably waiting for his child.

"Hi, I haven't seen you here before" He stuck out his hand, I took it warily.

"Uh yeah, this is my first time here."

"I'm David"

"I'm Juliet."

"Where is your child?" I chuckled a little, I rubbed my stomach.

"Still loading, yours?" Just then a little girl jogged up and yanked on his hand.

"Daddy! There's an ice cream cart, can we please get some ice cream...please!" He smiled and nodded walking away. I was never going to have that with Blake, I could never trust him with our baby alone, he was into some shady things.

David came back and sat on the bench beside me with his little girl.

"Here" He handed me an ice cream

"Uh you really didn't have to, but thank you I needed this." Emma looked between David and me with a smile.

"Where's your husband?" I felt a sharp pain hit me in the stomach, anger, and sadness.

"I don't have one." I looked down to the ground.

"Sorry I don't mean to be rude, I know how it feels to raise a child alone."

"You do?"

"Emma, you can go play on the swings now." All her ice cream was gone now so she happily ran away.

"My wife died during childbirth" I gasped, that was horrible, I think I felt a tear slide down my cheek.

"Hey, don't cry-I don't know why I'm telling you this, sorry"

He took my hand giving it a squeeze, I finished my ice cream. He scribbled something down and handed it to me.

"I don't ever do this but, here's my number, you seem like you need a friend." He picked up his daughter and turned around, walking away. She waved at me shyly, trying to hide in the crook of his neck. She must be around 6 years old. I looked at the number, perhaps I need a friend.

I was about to stand up when a dark figure sat down beside me. I instantly looked up, the devil himself will always appear. I looked back at the playground in front of me.

"We are not in a relationship, you don't get to speak to me that way." He kept quiet.

"We're not going to be your problem anymore, I quit. I may be the weak one but I sure as hell don't have to work with you. After all, men prey on weakness." I stood up. He turned to me and also stood up.