Chapter 17

Blake

"I'm driving as fast as I can!"

"You're shaming the name of this sports car, I just really want to see my girl," Adrian remarked snarkily.

"Your girl? Adrian?" He sighed and then slumped back into his seat after berating me to drive faster. I have a feeling that his bachelor ways are no more, he likes Ava a lot and he can't stop talking about how nice it is to see her again.

I'm dreading this-I have to explain to Juliet what is going on and then she'll know what kind of person I am. To explain I'm going to have to start from the beginning, from the part where we witnessed Anatra killing our father and how we couldn't say who it was because if we did, we'd go down too.

All in the name of love.

Our war is far from done, with Anatra dead some shady characters have dodged up now and again but nothing we couldn't deal with, I had a feeling that the few members of his mob that is left are planning some kind of revenge act. Adrian couldn't find anything else on Anatra than what we know already.

We decided that it's best to continue with business as usual, the press has lied  down after the shooting and now all they resort to is saying it's being investigated. Archer is staying around here just in case when asked who he is the story goes that he's an accountant.

Damn, a number of accountants we have already are becoming absurd but then again, we needed each and every one of these so called accountants .

The drive is long, LA isn't really close, we'd be arriving by late afternoon. At least things have calmed down now, I didn't look over my shoulder as much as I used to. I shifted my shoulder back and forth while I was driving, I don't think it'll ever be the same again. When I went back for a mandatory checkup, they said it's healing nicely but I couldn't do the heavy lifting.

"Are you okay to drive?"

"Weren't you just telling me to drive faster like two minutes ago?" He rolled his eyes at me and continued working on his phone.

"Oh wow our stock just shot up by a point," He remarked, I guess he's trading shares right now. I focussed on the road, my mind drifting through every possible way I could get out of telling her exactly what was going on. None of the scenarios turned out right, one ended with her slapping me and the other with me trying to comfort her as she cried.

I couldn't do that to her, I don't want to upset her since she, after all, has my baby growing inside of her. I sighed leaning forward into my seat in some attempt to gain my equilibrium in my mind.

I turned on the radio, I didn't really listen to what they were playing, it's just white noise to fill my mind.

Adrian looked at me from what I could see from my side, he didn't say anything he continued on his phone, he probably tries to judge in what I state I am before he tries to speak with me. After a few hours of me irritating myself, I saw Adrian's beach house coming into view.

Thank you offshore bank accounts for paying for all of this, this was bought with a Christmas bonus we got about a year back, a bonus for making some money disappear from another account. It's quite a gray area for us, the grey area we thrive in. When I stopped in the driveway, I let out a breath I've been holding in since we started our little road trip.

Ava came jogging out, she smiled happily, and Adrian bolted from the car and took her into his arms, kissing her like he hasn't seen her in years. I got out, I didn't see Juliet, I left them to finish the make out session, I walked into the house. I saw Juliet, curled up on the couch. Fast asleep. I didn't want to wake her but it's been a month since I saw and I really need to see those beautiful green eyes again. I stroked her hair, her eyes drifted open.

"Blake!" She sat up and hugged me, I missed her sweet smell and that she fits against my body. I rested my head in the crook of her neck. She pulled away from me after a few minutes of hugging.

"Hi"

"Hi baby" She scooted up, I saw the tiny bump, I placed my hand on her bump. It still amazes me that inside there's a baby waiting to be born.

"Wow," I muttered and looked at her bump, she giggled.

"I know," She jumped up to the bookcase and pulled out the sonogram. She sat back down, I pulled her onto my lap.

"I want to show you this" She handed me the sonogram, I got the picture she sent me but this is just better.

"There are the fingers, oh the toes, look there." She pointed to the little speckled toes, last time I saw them they were nubs. She looked so excited but when she turned to me again, her smile fell. She got up from my lap like I was made of poison ivy. Her eyes scanning me and becoming a deathly green.

"Why didn't you tell me about your time in the military?" She crossed her arms over her chest.

"That's why I'm here, to tell you everything, adding insult to injury- you're going to hate me so much after I tell you."

"Adrian and I went to the military together after college, to get away from our family. We learned to toughen up, I've shot a man in the line of duty-killed him. Our father asked us to come back to help him, he was in a rough spot and we decided to help him..." I continued telling her about what happened, how he was shot in front of us and we couldn't tell anyone who he was since we would go down too. How Anatra came back to shut us up for good and that we held him captive and that our man cut off his fingers to get him to talk.

How I was shot because Anatra had escaped, how he was killed by Adrian and Archer. I told her everything. How Adrian kills, how we hide things in our business and how nothing is all that above board. I know she wouldn't tell anyone. I told her about the monster I was, how I couldn't care less about humanity...that was all true until I met her. 

Here I was breaking her heart piece by piece, it wasn't just words.

She sat down for a moment, her face flashed between surprise, anger, and sadness.

"That's everything," Adrian announced that he and Ava are going to the beach before they scurried away. She sat on the chair, looking at me with regret.

"It's getting late, I'm going bed, " She said plainly and stood up.

"You can yell if you want, you can cry, you can slap me." She swallowed hard, looked down at her hand on her bump.

"No, I wanted the truth, now I got it-I can't be angry at you for that. You're not a monster, I wouldn't love a monster. I need time to think." She said plainly, her eyes looking at me with sadness, she was a strange kind of calm. This wasn't one the scenarios that I imagined.

I sat on the couch, still not sure what was going to happen. I felt like the monster right now.

Adrian and Ava came back, Ava saw me, she pursed her lips muttering something to him before heading upstairs. He sat down beside me.

"You told her." I nodded.

"Did she cry?" I shook my head, it felt like my heart sunk as it shattered.

"She said she needs time to think, to process." He had a small frown on his face.

"Puis lui donner le temps"(Then give her time) He switched to our native language.

"Je ne veux pas la perdre" ( I don't want to lose her)

"Vous avez déjà fait avec votre passe. " (You've already done that, with your past)

He's right, by putting her in danger and telling her everything, I've lost her. Even if she wouldn't say it, she thinks I'm the bad guy. 

Which I am.