Chapter 12 part 1

I sat there motionlessly waiting for the grief to take over me.

Jess came and sat next to me and hugged me around the waist. She understood that I needed a friend right now.

“Hey Josh…Do you love her?” she said softly.

I thought about it. “No not anymore.”

She looked into my eyes and nodded sadly. “Okay. But if you want to stay as friends then…”

“Jess, will you be my girlfriend?”

Jake POV

“Hey Alex.” She smiled hesitantly and I frowned inwardly. What’s up with her? She was fine this morning… I slung my arm over her shoulder and steered her towards my friends by my locker. I switched my books and started chatting with my friends. Alex didn’t say a word.

My friends asked about what happened this morning and Alex flinched. WTF? I told them that Josh attacked me, and left out the part that I kinda started it.

I glanced at Alex and she looked pretty angry and also…disappointed?!!?! She noticed me looking and composed her face.

I told the guys that we all had a week’s detention I watched Alex this time for her reaction. She frowned when I said ‘all of us’.

Oh no, this is about Josh… she likes Josh, as more than a friend. She cares about him and hurts when he hurts. She’s happy when he’s happy. She likes him more than me. My girlfriend prefers by brother. Who happens to be her ex-best friend. Dammit.

Jess POV

He’s gonna change his mind; he’ll go after Alex and then they will be the perfect couple. I can see it in his eyes. He wants to go after her and kiss her forever. At least I haven’t fallen for him yet. Or have I?

“Jess, will you be my girlfriend?”

What what?!?! I thought he loved Alex. In fact I KNOW he loves Alex so why the fudge he asked me to be his girlfriend? I hope I’m not a rebound. No don’t be stupid! I mean why would he have flirted yesterday if he didn’t like you? But I can see it in his eyes he loves her…

Only then did I notice that I still hadn’t said anything. Josh looked at me worriedly. Uhoh how long had I been talking to myself in my head? Damn me and my internal debates…

What do I say? Be selfish or selfless? Err…

Alex POV

I’m sick of Jake. How can he do this to his brother? Josh has always had a clean record at school and now this. All because of me.

I can’t believe I said all that crap to Josh. What was worse that he believed it. He believed every stinking word. Damn, I was counting on his best-friend-mind-reading powers, but he was completely oblivious.

Why can't he see I'm madly in love with him?!