1. First Day of School

TERI

Teri Rubin walked through the double front doors and had her first glimpse of her new school.

Students were walking about, or gathered in groups, minding their own business. A couple of them glanced at the new girl as she walks in, determinedly avoiding looking at the eyes of her new schoolmates.

More people were noticing the new face, silently seizing her up. She picked up her pace, wanting to get to her first class and away from all this attention.

But it was far too early to go to class.

She changed direction, heading instead for the girls toilet.

AUSTIN

'Great,' Austin thought to himself. The last thing he needed was to move to a whole new school...again!

Sometimes it seemed like his parents were clueless! Did they not remember how hard it was to adjust to a new school? 'It's the down side to being a navy brat,' he chanted to himself.

He shouldered his backpack and locked the doors of the beat up Mitsubishi his parents had bought him.

Austin took his first step into the school only to have his leg land in a puddle of water. 'What an amazing way to start the day,' he murmured glumly under his breath.

A couple of kids saw him and unabashedly laughed at him. Shaking his head, Austin carried on walking towards the office.

As he passed by, he noticed a couple of young girls eyeing him, giggling all the while. Austin was used to this, and he didn't even bat an eyelash.

He walked past a timid little girl who looked scared out of her wits. From the looks of things she was running to the safety of the toilets. Austin remembered when he used to do that.

Reminiscing all the while, he made his way to the office. He gingerly pushed the door open and took a deep breath. 'Calm Austin. It's just a new school. No big deal,' he reassured himself.

The old lady behind the big mahogany desk looked up from her computer and gave him a warm smile. Austin smiled timidly back at her and took a step forward before falling to the floor.

Damn his stupid shoelaces!

TERI

Teri breathe out a sigh of relief as she leaned over a sink. Then she hit it with the palm of her hand in frustration.

Why did her dad have to get a new job? She was perfectly content with her life in Stony Brooks. What right did he have for uprooting her life and moving it here?

There was nothing she could've done about it though. He had made his decision, and here she was. She wished her mom was around. Maybe she could have talked dad out of taking that job...

Teri shook her head, clearing her thoughts.

It's not good to dwell on what she should have done. It's what she's going to do that matters. Well right now she has to focus on getting through the first day of school... Swell.

Gathering her wits, she opened the door of her sanctuary back into the fear and doubts that only a new school can bring.

The scene outside hadn't changed, except there seemed to be more students than before. She nearly wanted to turn back toward the toilet but stopped herself just in time. 

She wasnt going to back off now! 

She tried to stand a little straighter. But she couldnt bring herself to do it. Heaving another sigh, she heads towards the main office.

AUSTIN

Dusting himself off, Austin got up, his cheeks burning a bright red. The receptionist smiled in spite of herself and Austin felt himself go even redder.

He sauntered up to the front desk as if falling flat on your face was the most normal thing to do.

"Hi! I'm Austin Niall. It's my first day," he stated as if that would explain everything from the awkward smile to the embarrassing fall.

The receptionist nodded sagely and told him to take a seat. Austin thanked her politely and sat down on one of the plush couches.

Minutes later a tall boy walked into the office with no qualms, he was leaning against the desk nonchalantly, grinning widely at the receptionist. The two of them exchanged pleasantries as Austin watched in silence, fiddling with his thumbs.

"Hi? I'm Bruce. You look a little lost?" 

It took Austin a few minutes to realise that the boy who was at the desk a few minutes ago was now staring down at him as if he was mentally retarded.

Grinning, Austin held out his hand, "I'm Austin Niall. New student and kind of freaked out, as you can see," he introduced trying to act as normal as possible.

"Oh, cool! Well, don't worry about it. First day's can be brutal, but they always get better," Bruce shrugged nonchalantly and walked out the door.

Great. How was that supposed to help? Now he KNEW FOR SURE that his first day was going to be hell. 'Thank you very much, Bruce!' Austin thought moodily to himself.

Just as he had almost convinced himself to make a run for it out of the office, the door opened. Standing in the doorway was a young girl wearing a very determined look.

A/N: Alright, so that was a taste into the collab! :) Austin and Teri are about to meet!! Exciting ~~~~~~ xD