5. Eventful First Day

AUSTIN

Austin made his way through the cafeteria to a table where a few of his new friends sat. They invited him to join them and he gladly did. He made light conversation with everyone.

Austin sat a table with nine other people, 5 of them he had made friends with already and the other four he was making friends with. The girl sitting opposite him was eyeing him appreciatively.

Austin was as friendly as he could muster. She made a few crude jokes, and Austin joined in with the rest of the table laughing. The girl, Britney, was definitely a looker, but obviously had the brains the size of a peanut.

And even with Britney sitting in front of him, flaunting her womanly assets, the only face he could see was Teri's slightly shocked yet pleased face when he had called her pretty.

"Oh, hey, isn't that the new girl?" Brandon mused, sipping his coke, pointing to someone behind Austin. 

Austin turned around hoping beyond hope it wouldn't be her, but today was obviously not his day. Teri stood further behind him talking cheerfully to a guy.

Austin could feel a surge of jealousy take over his body. Who was the guy she was talking to?!

"Is the guy new too?" Austin asked his new friends.

"Nah, that's Dave. He's 13. Maybe they're classmates?" Matthew replied grinning.

"She's kind of pretty, isn't she?" Adrian asked, jabbing Joseph's shoulder.

"But way too young!" Austin surprised himself by saying.

"Dude! Age is only a number!" Brandon guffawed.

"I think she looks like a wanna be," Britney declared savagely.

"No way! Look at her! She definitely seems like someone who is proud to be herself," Austin defended. His friends gave him odd glances and he could feel himself redden slightly under the scrutiny.

"I'm going to...the bathroom," Austin announced, hauling his backpack.

He walked right in between Teri and her little boy friend. "Hey Teri," he called as he passed by.

He couldn't explain it to himself, but he wanted her to acknowledge his presence even while she was talking to some other guy.

Before she could reply though, Austin's logical side kicked in, commanding him to take off as fast as he could. So he sprinted like an idiot towards the physics lab.

TERI

Dave looked taken aback by the sudden interruption between him and Teri. They were just getting into the subject of the possibilities of actual working lightsabers when the new guy walked between them. 

"Hey Teri," he had said, before sprinting out of the cafeteria. 

Dave was about to say something about it when he noticed the glazed look in his friend's eyes. She was gazing at the closing doors as the new guy disappeared around the corner. 

"Your boyfriend?" he asked her, watching her turn scarlet as she turned back to him. 

"He's just a friend!" she said, a little too fast. He gave her a knowing look that caused her to hit his shoulder hard. 

"Ow!" he muttered, rubbing the spot she had hit. "Alright so he's not your boyfriend then. So why the look?"

She gave him a puzzled expression and asked, "what look?"

He snapped his finger, finally figuring it out. "You have a crush on him!" he said, making the girl standing ahead of them look back. 

Teri's reply was to turn a deeper shade of red and said, "I do not! He's just a friend I made in the office."