3. Mope in Peace

AUSTIN

The principal blabbed a little. Austin had known the principal his whole life, a friend of his fathers. So, while he was talking, Austin felt himself drift out of focus. His thoughts were clouded with thoughts of the young girl sitting outside the office.

'You're so sick, Austin! She's 13! You're 16!' he chastised himself. Austin was realistic enough to know that nothing could ever happen between them. But why did that upset him so much?

Could Teri be the one? No way. Austin had a specific taste. All his ex-girlfriends were similar...but Teri was so different.

"So, my boy, welcome to your new school," the principal finished, grinning broadly.

Austin snapped himself out of his reverie and forced a smile on his face. He thanked the principal profusely and made a quick exit.

He couldn't help that his eyes immediately flew across the room to land on the petite little girl with her eyes closed. Was she okay? Did she pass out? Austin could feel himself panic. Why were her eyes closed?

Her eyes suddenly opened and immediately met his. There was a moment where it seemed like nothing else mattered other than the girl who possessed those mesmerizing green eyes.

"I guess I'll see you around?" Austin murmured trying to keep the desperation out of his voice.

Teri nodded, not saying anything. Austin shot her his most disarming smile and made a quick exit. His father always told him to leave the girls wanting more, but he felt oddly empty to be away from Teri.

Internally slapping himself, Austin quickly made his way across the deserted hallways to his first class; Chemistry. Oh boy had he had enough Chemistry with Teri to last him a life time!

TERI

The trip to the principal's office was brief. He had droned on about how the school was proud to have her as a student, and how her grades could be improved with a little hard work. 

All the while, Austin's smile kept pushing itself into her mind, making her feel unnaturally happy. There was something about it that made her want to hold something in her arms and giggle herself silly. 

But she stopped herself from thinking about it any further. She was supposed to be stronger than that.

No, she wasn't going to be like one of those girls with no respect for themselves, throwing themselves willy nilly at all those boys at her old school. 

The principal dismissed her, much to her surprise as she wasn't paying attention. She thanked him and went off for her first class of the day: French class. The language of love. Her heart skipped a beat as she realized what she felt for the boy whose smile was infiltrating her mind.

AUSTIN

Austin moved so much, he never got to make all that many friends. When you don't have many friends, you have way too much time on your hands. Austin was a good student, he took all AP classes and he loved the things he learnt.

He knew it wasn't something you would expect since he didn't seem the studious type. He looked more the part of the arrogant, self-obsessed sports buff. He did love his sports. At any opportunity, Austin loved playing a good game of football or tennis. 

Austin had always been a friendly guy. So by the time his first period class ended, he already had a couple of friends.

In every new school he had ever been too, Austin had always made it a point to become part of a sporting group. Mostly because that would give him the license to use the school gym. His favourite place in the world was possibly a gym. 

Or it had been. Somehow he was pretty sure his current favourite place would have to be the office where he met the girl that haunted his thoughts. 

Throughout all of his classes, all Austin could think of was Teri. He tried to take his mind off her, but it was by no means easy. He was obsessed, in every sense of the word.

The moment the bell rang for recess, Austin dashed out of his classroom, hoping to bump into Teri. But the moment he stepped into the cafeteria, that hope was squashed. There had to be at least 700 students in the cafeteria! How would he ever find her?!

Dejected and having lost his appetite, Austin walked over to the library. At least he could mope in peace there.