Chapter Thirty Two: Misery

HAZEL

"It's kill or be killed. No other choice then bloods gonna spill, back against the wall so forget or forgive. But after all this I never will."

Derek tilted his head to the side as he observed me and my ramblings.

"What the hell are you talking about Hazel? I can do so much worse to you than you ever will to me."

"Your imagination gets so twisted when you think you've seen the worst but, I have an instinct that can never be reversed. My vengeance is a curse."

As I stood up I felt the wolf inside me unleash and rip through my body, my hands contorted as claws extended from my nails and my vision became a hazy red. However through the red I could make out Derek's once stone cold face start to crack under the fear that seeped from his pours. An inhuman growl ripped out of my throat and I relished in the moon overhead feeding me more energy.

"I want to watch you bleed. You're the crime but I'm the scene."

I let the images of Jake fill my mind. His contagious laugh right the way until his bloody death. He died before his time, the hunters said they only hunted the supernatural and never shed the blood of another human. But they'd broken their own code by killing Jake, they were no better than the supernatural beings they hunted.

Derek stumbled and tripped over a rock causing him to drop his main weapon. I took the opportunity and got low before lunging at him and tackled him to the ground with enough force to knock the air from his lungs. His pleas and shouts for help faded into the background as I bought my claws back before slicing clean across his jugular. But I didn't stop there, he was going to pay for all the hell he'd put me and my friends through.

ADAM

It took us longer then we'd have liked to get the hunter problem under control enough for us to leave and return to the house. The four of us followed the trail of dead bodies towards an opening when we saw Mickey, PJ and Rachel scattered around tired and out of breath. James went to Rachel while Jesse and Matt ran over to Mickey and PJ, I scrunched my eyebrows and wondered where Hazel and Jake were because they weren't here with the others.

"We sent Jake and Hazel up that path to higher ground while we blocked the hunters, but a few slipped by us Adam. We haven't heard anything from either of them in a little while now."

Jesse patted PJ who seemed pained that he'd had to leave Hazel when he was protective of her. I took off up the path hoping Jake and Hazel hadn't gotten that far, how many hunters had slipped past the three? I could smell gun residue and blood, lots of blood. I couldn't tell who it belonged to which worried me, the house was covered in blood that the hunters had stolen and now I didn't know if the love of my life was alive. Jake would have fought to the bitter end to make sure Hazel and the babies survived, he wouldn't want to have disappointed her or myself.

The sound of sobbing stopped me dead in my tracks about a mile away from the others. My heart skipped a beat upon hearing the familiar tears of Hazel, meaning she was alive. I quickened my pace and came to a halt at the mouth of a smaller clearing. There weren't as many bodies here but I made out a couple of hunters with bullets between their eyes. However that wasn't the most shocking scene I was going to find. First my eyes found the unmoving body of Jake with blood soaking his chest and dripping out of his mouth while his glazed eyes locked onto me with more sorrow than pain. I had to take a moment to process the realisation that Jake was dead, sure I hadn't known him that long but he meant a lot to both Hazel and Rachel and he was slowly growing on the other pack members.

I crouched by his side and said a silent prayer before shutting his eyelids and putting him to rest. My breath caught as my fingers brushed over the whole in his chest, he'd been stabbed in the chest from behind so he never saw his death coming. Only a coward killed another in the back.