Chapter Twenty Eight: Beautiful Goodbye

JAKE

It was strange still going to classes without Rachel or Hazel by my side, but my lecturer wasn't as lenient as the girls so I was forced to come in to make up for the days I missed. Getting a degree didn't seem like a priority while a bunch of deranged hunters were trying to kill my best friend who happened to be a pregnant werewolf carrying Adam Levine's pups. How we weren't on one of those reality shows by now astonished me, I'm sure we'd get thousands of viewers for all the different issues we were shitting out left right and centre.

The campus was surprisingly void of all student life as I dragged my feet across the car park towards my car. This was the part in all the movies when something bad happened if I turned around, I only had a few metres until I was in the safety of my vehicle but someone breathed on the back of my head jolting me and in my haste I quickly turned around. There was no one behind me so who had I felt breathing on my neck? Werewolves and witches existed so why not ghosts as well, but why would a ghost breathe on my neck?

In the few seconds I was distracted something heavy came down on the back of my head sending me tumbling to the ground. I hit it hard and cursed under my breath and tried to grip my head to stop the throbbing. I gasped as I pulled my hand back and saw blood, but there was no one around wasn't there?

"He mustn't be that important if they let him walk around without protection."

"Oh he's important, hurt him and the bitch will come running."

My whole body froze at the sound of Derek's voice somewhere close by. A set of boots came into my view and I made the mistake of looking up into the eyes of a grinning hunter, there was no sympathy in his eyes I was the enemy even if I was still human. I knew there was no use trying to escape but instinct kicked in and I attempted to scurry backwards causing the hunter to throw his head back and laugh.

"I like it when they put up a fight."

He closed the distance between us in less than three strides and I flinched trying to use my hands to cover my face as he lifted his boot and bought it down on my face. I didn't have time to scream or call for help before black dots danced in front of my eyes and the boot kept coming down as if he was trying to break my whole body. If this was some sort of trap Rachel and Hazel would walk straight into it because they cared too much for me, and I had no way to warn them before I blacked out.

HAZEL

It was only I, Rachel, Adam and James in the house. The others were out running errands, when I knew they didn't want to be around the couples. Adam and I had grown closer since the night with Behati, he was doing everything to prove himself to not just me but to his unborn children and he was slowly winning me back over. We were sat cuddling on the sofa in the lounge scrolling through TV while James and Rachel were talking outside by the pool.

A strange sensation suddenly came over me, not like nausea or dizziness but like something bad was happening to someone close to me. I sat up and pushed Adam's arms off me and started to shiver.

"Hazel are you okay?"

He wrapped a protective arm around me and the shivering stopped as soon as it had started.

"Have you ever had that sensation that something bad is happening to someone close to you? I feel like something bad is happening or has happened."

He nodded while placing his hand on my forehead to see if I had a fever. I wasn't ill and pushed him away somehow clambering off the sofa with ease despite my expanding belly.

"I'm not ill Adam, I feel something and all I can do is stand here helpless."

"HAZEL!"

Both Adam and I turned our attention to the door of the lounge where Rachel ran shouting my name. My stomach dropped something bad had happened because I could hear it in her voice.