Chapter Twenty Nine: Sweetest Goodbye

ADAM

As the pack and I rounded the corner we watched as Hazel tackled some guy off of Rachel and snapped his neck before swaying and collapsing. I ran to her side and caught her before she could hit the hard floor, James and Mickey ran past me to check on Rachel while I held the girl I loved. Jesse bent down next to me and started checking for a pulse because her heartbeat was getting weaker by the second.

"We found Jake, this looks like a very professional setup Adam."

I looked up at Matt who emerged from a room along with PJ and nodded.

"They went to a lot of effort just to drug them. I guess they weren't expecting Hazel to fight back and take out one hunter."

Matt frowned in Jesse's direction before motioning to the room he'd just left.

"Add another dead hunter to the head count, snapped neck."

Hazel had killed more people over these last couple of months then she ever should have in a normal life. She was innocent once upon a time but with each kill she'd lose her humanity, sure the hunters deserved it but I wanted to keep my loves humanity as long as possible. Only Matt and I had ever gone to the brink but the rest of the guys bought us back from destruction, I'd teach Hazel how to knock someone out instead of killing each time.

"Is she okay?"

Rachel limped towards us with James keeping her upright. I wanted to yell at Rachel that this was her fault, if she hadn't lied to us and Hazel then everyone would be back at the house not collapsed and dying with every second that passes. I didn't want to talk to her so I focused my attention on the girl in my arms and let Jesse do the talking.

"Is there a spell to pause the pain? Just long enough that we can get her back to the house where we have the right equipment to fix her and hopefully keep the babies alive."

"I'll help her do it Jesse as it takes a lot of energy. Adam, Hazel will make it out of this alive she's a fighter and if those babies are anything like their parents they will fight for survival."

All I did was nod and watch Rachel visibly tense after both James and Jesse mentioned the possibility of losing the babies. Hazel was her best friend as was Jake who we also had to deal with, she needed to learn to take a step back and think before she walked head first into another hunter trap. If Hazel hadn't messaged me then I didn't even want to think of the consequences, I'd only just gotten her back and planned to love her and raise a family together. No one was going to take my Hazel away from me again.

"We'll take Jake back to the house and stabilise him as well, maybe he can shed some light on what we can expect next."

Matt and Mickey nodded at my order and walked back towards Jake's room. We needed to get to the bottom of what the hunters were planning, what the hell was going to be their final move.

HAZEL

Light flickered in front of my eyes, was this heaven? Then a shadow blocked the light and I felt my body shake slightly.

"Please wake up Hazel, I need you."

My heart skipped a beat at the sound of a voice I never thought I'd hear again. Wait a second Adam held me when I was dying in the hospital, I didn't feel any pain, something wasn't right with this situation. I forced my eyes open and took Adam by surprise as I sat upright in the bed, my bed back at the pack house.

I patted the mattress to see if it was real, it felt real. I blinked as my eyes adjusted to the light and slowly but surely my bedroom came into focus. Then the memory of my death flashed in front of my eyes.