Chapter Five: Animals

ADAM

I couldn't get the taste of Hazel's lips off mine, she tasted like cherry but that could have been her lip balm. Her scent was intoxicating, a mixture of jasmine and honeysuckle; she engulfed every sense of mine. I remembered how responsive she was when I kissed her, yes I could have any girl but Hazel and I were connected more than she knew. I was there that night in the woods, I remember every last detail. I was the one who saved her.

FLASHBACK

We weren't supposed to be in the woods but this was a better location to draw out the hunters who wanted us dead. However they were one step ahead of us and were prepared. Silver and wolfsbane were a werewolf's weakness so they were scattered along our path causing the five of us to split up. PJ had gone home for a few days so only me, Jesse, James, Matt and Mickey were representing our pack.

We split up but due to the odd number I decided to go off alone because I was the alpha so should be able to handle myself. We weren't the only wolves in LA and I could immediately smell another pack in the woods with us. We were there on our own accord but what about this other pack, had they been lured here?

My phone went off and I cursed myself for not putting it on silent. It was Jesse, so I picked it up without hesitation.

'Jesse man what's going on?'

'We found Mitchell, the hunters led their pack out here and through violent methods they were able to trigger bloodlust. The hunters then set them on a group of college students somewhere in the woods.'

So we weren't alone out here, if Jesse had found Mitchell and his pack then at least we didn't have any stray bloodlust werewolves on the loose. When in bloodlust a werewolf will attack another of their kind if they don't belong to the same pack, unfortunately because my pack wasn't here I now had the uneasy job of finding a group of dead college students.

'I'll see if I can pick up the scents of the dead students, have you located any hunters yet?'

Jesse inhaled loudly down the other end of the line before answering.

'According to Mitchell there were four hunters. Matt and James are tracking them while Mickey and I stay here with the others. Call if you find anything.'

I hung up and began my trek further into the woods, I opened all my senses and in the distance I could hear the faint sound of music, looks like I'd found the dead students. No way could any human survive a bloodlust werewolf.

In no time I found a clearing except there were two people alive. One was a man who I sensed as a hunter, was crouching over a body which had been torn open. The other was a beautifully striking young woman who must be a student from the smell of alcohol on her. She stalked towards the man with a large stick before hitting him hard across the back of the head, for a small thing she had some strength.

'You don't know what you're dealing with little girl, there are wolves in these woods and they killed your friends.'

The hunter managed to overpower the girl.

'How do I know that you didn't kill them?'

The hunter laughed and lunged for her before knocking her forcefully to the ground. I wanted to help her but a part of me wanted to see if she could handle herself. The girl tried to struggle but a knife was pulled on her and I heard it make contact with her flesh as the hunter stabbed her.

I leapt from my hiding spot and lunged at the hunter managing to knock him off the girl. I couldn't keep the wolf side of me down and I found myself viciously attacking him with my claws and teeth. He needed to die; the hunters were the bad people not us. At least we didn't attack innocent humans.