chapter 17: My interpretation

I didn't see William for the rest of the night, which was good because I had no desire to. Once was more than enough.

But after that, I went and found Alex, who had, unsurprisingly, met some girl and was successfully flirting with her. I was pretty much left on my own then, not that I minded. I did not spend the rest of the time there dancing with a few guys who I never got the names of, nor did they get my name, and one lesbian (don't ask me how that happened, because I don't know, either). Overall, and despite seeing William there, it was a great night.

I'm still in a good mood because of it, even though it's now Monday. I don't know how to explain why that is, and to be perfectly honest, I don't even care. I'm just in a good mood and it's awesome.

So, its lunch, and Alex and I are in the courtyard, sitting on top of picnic table, not really doing anything. Well, anything important that is. Alex's is reading something, and I'm just staring at this group of kids a few tables away from us. It's one of the recently formed non-hetero groups. There are a few kids in it that I would have never guess were gay/bi/something-other-that-straight. It's kind of baffling me, though it makes sense at the same time. It's weird, but not really. I mean, once you think about it it's not, but, yeah...

I know, I know. I'm so articulate.

Shut up.

Anyway, there's this particularly good-looking kid, who I think might be a junior. I don't really know for sure, though. I can't remember his name (if I even knew it to begin with), but I know I've seen him hanging out with the 'skaters' before. He's one of the people that I'm surprised is gay/bi/something-other-that-straight, but I kind of really like that he is. Now I'm just trying to decide if it would be a good idea to go over there and introduce myself. Not really sure if I'm ready for another attempt at starting a relationship with someone, even though it's been about two weeks since The Incident with William.

But this kid really does have a lot going for him. He's tall, has dark brown hair that's border-lining on the shaggy side, and this lopsided grin that is ridiculously attractive. His jeans fit him very nicely too, if you know what I'm saying..

"Michael."

Reflexively, I turn towards the voice that said my name, and then feel a heavy weight drop into my stomach when I see the owner of that voice.

William.

I do my best to look at him dispassionately as I swallow the rising taste of bile in my mouth.

"William. What?" I asked keeping my tone as neutral as possible.

"I need to talk to you."

His expression is unreadable, so I have no idea what to make of what he said or him, in general.

"All right..." I said carefully.

"Actually, I was hoping we could do it in private."

His blue eyes flicker to Alex, who is now watching us with a frown.

I stare at William as I decide what to do. Half of me is dying to tell him to fuck off, but the other half is curious. I know I'm probably not going to like what he has to say, but I still want to know what it is, because, I honestly have no clue. I can't imagine what he 'needs' to talk to me about, especially when I thought he pretty much said everything he needed to say to me in that classroom.

After about a minute of internal confliction, my curiosity wins.

"Fine." I said pushing myself off the picnic table.

"Thank you." He said beaming at me.

It's the same smile he gave me before what happened in the clearing, the one that I fell for. But, strangely, it has no effect on me now. I guess knowing what a complete asshole he is lessens the effect.