chapter 8: First date

"Hello?"

"Hi, Michael. It's William."

I bolt upright in my bed. The ball that I was tossing up and down out of boredom hits me in the head, but I ignore it. There are more important things to think about than the bump I'm probably going to have from it. Like the fact that I am on the phone with William.

"Hey.What's up ?"

I was hoping I sound suave and not like my heart is beating a million times per second.

" I was just wondering how you're feeling."

It makes my racing heart skip a beat (or five).

"I'm fine."

That's not exactly the truth (my abdomen hurts from yesterday and I have several bruises and cuts), but he doesn't need to know that. I don't want to tell him and have him think I'm whining about it. That would definitely not be cool.

"It's nothing I can't handle."

William laughs on the other line.

"I thought you'd say that. You were looking tough yesterday, and you still are, huh?"

He laughs again.

"Well unfortunately for you, I can see through your tough guy act. So, tell me. How are you really?"

I gape at the opposite wall in my bedroom. How does he do that? How does he always seem to know exactly what I'm thinking? It's weird, and sort of scary, but I can't help but love that about him. He really is something else.

"Michael? Are you there?"

"Oh. Yeah. Sorry. I'm, um... I'm okay. Just a little sore and bruised. And I'm still pissed off about it." I answered feeling a blush on my cheeks.

" I thought so.And that's completely understandable. But still, you need a way to let it go."

"How?"

And he laughs again.

"That's why I'm calling.Do you wanna go out with me and a few of my friends tonight?"

Did he just...? Oh, my god.

My heart completely stops. So does my breathing.

I know, I know. It's technically not a date, but it's close enough. This is...wow. This is great. No, not even great. There is no word to describe how monumentally awesome this is. This can't be real. But it is. And...wow. It's amazing.

"Yeah,I'd love to."

"Fantastic! I'll be over at your house around seven-thirty to pick you up, okay? Oh. And if you want, you can invite your friend,what's his name,oh, yeah. Alex. All right? I'll see you later. Bye, Michael."

And then he hangs up, leaving me completely speechless.

But wait...

How does he know where I live? And now that I think about it, I never gave him my cell number. So, where did he...?

I blink in confusion, but then shake my head.

It doesn't really matter and I can't really bring myself to care all that much. The only thing on my mind right now is that I am going out with William tonight. Never mind the fact that his friends will be there. William invited me along, so that means I'm just as good as they are, or hopefully even more so. This is...wow. I can't wait until seven-thirty. I really can't.