chapter 14: Explanation

My heart pounds in my chest as I walk up to William. He doesn't see me since his back is towards me, but Audrey does, and she gives me a malicious smirk.

"Hey, lover boy." Audrey said with a smile.

I glare at her for a second then look over to William, who glanced over his shoulder at Audrey's greeting (if you could even all it that). He looks at me passively, like nothing ever happened between us.

Like I don't mean anything to him.

"We need to talk." I said trying to ignore how much that thought hurts me.

A glint appears in William's eyes as he cocks an eyebrow at me.

"We do?" His voice is amused.

"Yes."

I see the corner of his mouths twitch upwards, like he's trying not to smile. He doesn't think this is serious. It makes me angry.

"All right, then. See you, Audrey."

William then turns and starts walking down the hall, motioning for me to follow. I glare at his back. I don't want to follow him, I'm sick of doing things because of him or because he tells me too. But I really have no choice right now if I want to talk to him, and he knows that. I can see it in his smirk when he glances back at me, along with his amusement. Goddamn it. I clench my fists and follow him.

He leads me into an empty classroom, closing the door behind us. At least he has that much decency.

Or...maybe not.

I look at the way he leans up against one of the desk, his arms behind his back, supporting him, and his ankles crossed. His eyes are cool, his face smug. He looks completely at ease. It's the exact opposite of me. I'm uncomfortable, anxious, and upset. And he's enjoying seeing me like this, I can tell. I bet he brought me here just because he doesn't want anyone else to see me like this; he wants to be the only one.

And the worst part about it is that while it makes me dislike him more, it doesn't make me love him less. I'm still irrationally attracted to him and in love with him.

"Well, Michael. What do you need to talk to me about?"

I narrow my eyes at him.

"Don't play dumb, you know exactly what. Why did you just leave me in the clearing and then completely ignore me afterwards?"

"I thought that was obvious."

"Well, it's not. Humor me." I said barely holding onto my patience.

"I've been doing that."

I frown at him, not sure what he means, but he doesn't notice.

"But, all right."

He tilts his head to the side, a ghost of a smile on his lips.

"I left because there was no point in staying; I'd gotten what I wanted."

A lead weight drops down into my stomach and my hearts jumps up in my throat.

"What?"

I hate how my voice comes out in a whisper.

"I just wanted to get off. That was all it was about." He said flippantly.

I stare at him, my eyes wide. To hear him say that, it makes me feel like someone is shredding my soul to pieces. It hurts...like hell...but... I'm not surprised. Deep down, I knew this already. Or assumed it. But I still don't understand why, because...because...

"I thought you liked me." I said pathetically.

"Oh, I did. Just not that much, you see." He said giving me an earnest look.