.27.

Eventually, Arthur was able to deduce where I was and came to get me. I had seen the car lights come up, and I walked slowly to meet him halfway up the beach. He wrapped his arms around me, his warmth an instant relief against the freezing cold.

He didn't say anything as he lead me back to his car and helped me into the passenger seat. He closed the door quickly and rushed to the other side, getting in and shutting the door against the cold. He placed his hands on the steering wheel, but didn't move to switch gears.

"Alfre-" He cut off, and I heard him choke. I wished I could comfort him, but I honestly didn't thing I would be able to. I didn't think anything I could say would help right now. So, I said nothing. Which may have been worse.

The car started, and Arthur pulled out of the park parking lot. He drove carefully along the roads, taking the trip back to my house.

When we pulled up my driveway, Arthur lead me inside and then went to the backyard to let the dogs in out of the snow.

"H-Hey!" I heard him shout, and I looked up in time to have a large snow encrusted, hairy face shoved in my own and began to get licked to death.

"No," I pushed his head away, "Down boy."

He began whining and pacing back and forth before shoving his face in my own again.

"I said no," I pushed his face away, again. Arthur whistled, but Poofy just laid down and looked at me, whining the whole time.

"I'm going to put them in the bath. Why don't you do the same?" Arthur came into the room holding Princess. I nodded, but didn't look up from my stare with Poofy.

"Come on, boy," Arthur pat his pant leg, calling the dog. Poofy looked up to him, then back to me before lumbering to his feet and following Arthur down the hall to bathe.

I sighed and laid back on the couch, blinking my eyes closed. I was much too tired to even try and stand. So, I pulled the quilt off of the back of the couch and rolled up in it, and fell asleep.

~

"Alfred, wake up," A hand on my shoulder brought me back to consciousness. I rolled over my eyes blurry as I tried to see who was waking me.

"Come on, love. You can't sleep here," I was helped into a sitting position, and I finally brought myself to meet Arthur's eyes.

I immediately began to cry.

"Wha- Hey, what's the matter?" He shifted so he could be in front of me, watching my eyes. "Alfred, what's wrong, Love?"

I was such a shitty person. What was I doing? How could I do this to Arthur? How could I fall in love with another person? I loved Arthur, and I always would. So, why the hell would I allow myself to fall in love with Francis?

"Was it Francis?" Arthur asked and my breath held for a moment, my tears stopping before continuing just as heavily as before. "He called me," He continued as he rubbed circles into my back, "He told me you two... got into a fight." That wasn't how I'd put it. "He wanted to make sure you were okay." This wasn't helping me.

"Please," I begged him, "Just leave."

He chuckled and pulled me to him, practically into his lap.

"Not a chance, Love," He whispered. "I'm never leaving you. I love you." He placed his head beside mine and kissed my ear as he continued in a whisper, "I love your eyes, the color of the sky, and I love your smile, so bright even when it's dark. I love your courage, always standing for what you believe is right, and I love your bravery, always protecting what's good." He shifted, and pulled me fully onto his lap so I was facing him, straddling his waist. He wiped away my tears, even though more still followed. I was no longer sobbing but crying softly. He held my face gently as he met my eyes. "I love your laugh, loud and oboxious and with no care, and I love the way you speak, rapidly and with excitement, like a child. I love your mind, always working and always coming up with new, creative, sometimes stupid, ideas. I love your body, scars and all." He smiled and brought his head forward to rest against my own. "I love you, Alfred. I love every single thing that makes you you, that makes you unique and special and wonderful. I love you, and that will never change."

By now, I was crying heavily again, but for different reasons. Why? Why did he love me so much? How could he? When I was... me? When I was in love with him, but also with another? When I was an awful person? How could he love me?

"Alfred," He whispered, "It's because you're you." Had I spoken aloud? Oh, God. "I can't ever stop loving you." He lifted a hand to run through my hair. "It's Francis, isn't it?" He didn't have to say what he was referring to, I knew what he was asking. I shook my head. No, no I couldn't just love another person; I couldn't love Francis.

My sobs grew louder. I was so confused. What was wrong with me? What was wrong with my mind? My heart?

"It's alright, Love," He shushed me and pulled me to his chest, "It's alright, I'm not mad." He lowered his voice to a barely audible whisper, "Go to sleep now. Everything will be alright."

What else could I do? So, I buried my face in his neck, tears still silently falling, and let him hold me until my exhausted mind fell blank, a reprieve from the rest of my life.