.3.

Arthur Kirkland. He was eighteen years old, and has been my best friend ever since I accidentally punched him in the first grade. An honest mistake, I thought his eyebrows were caterpillars trying to eat his face. A part of me still thinks that might be the case....

He didn't have many, any, friends when we were younger, but I never ran away. We ended up staying together ever since, and I'm thankful for that. He used to come over when he was younger and his older siblings would fight. He'd bring fairy tale stories with him, and we'd read them, often ending with us looking for fairies and brownies in the garden. He insists he saw them hiding in our flowers, but I was never able to find them.

He stayed over at my house a lot, resulting in some fun sleep overs. He was good with Mattie, reading him stories when he was still really young, and even helping take care of him at times. He says it was because he took care of his little cousin Peter whenever his Aunt was sick; which was often.

If Mattie was my best friend, then Arthur was a very close second. He stuck close to me through the years, and helped me through a lot. Hell, he was even the reason I found out I was gay!

We were in seventh grade, and he was sleeping over again. Mattie and I shared a room at the time, but he was already asleep in the bottom bunk. So, me and Arthur were being quiet, but laying in the top bunk under a blanket fort with a lantern. We were playing a stupid game of Truth or Dare, flipping the cards over and laughing like idiots at some of them.

Soon, he picked up a card and asked me truth or dare. I, being the hero, obviously chose dare because truth was too lame for me. He flipped it over to read the dare and his cheeks blazed. He read it out slowly, and I felt my face heat up to match his. I had to kiss him! He tried reassuring me that I didn't have to, it was just a stupid game, but a hero never backs down! So, I leaned over and kissed him. On the cheek, mind you, but I had quickly found myself regretting that and wishing it was on the lips. That was how I found out I was gay for my best friend.

A few months later, and after many talks with my brother, I ended up coming out to the whole school, and eventually my parents, by dating a Russian transfer student. We had lasted the year, and I was really actually falling for him, but he had to go back to Russia when the year ended. It was awful, and I had locked myself in my room for a week straight afterwards. It took another two months for Matthew to get me to open up again, but I haven't dated anyone since. For other reasons as well as a broken heart. I still speak with Ivan, the boy I dated, sometimes. We have days where we catch up over Skype.

My parents were overjoyed when I finally got myself back together, but that time hadn't lasted. It was only five months later, in November, when Matthew had his accident. Only five months of happiness with my brother, and then it was over.

If it wasn't for Arthur, I wouldn't even be walking into school right now. He was the one who stopped me from destroying my life before it even began, but all too soon everything began to crash again. It wasn't anyone's fault but my own. I was the one who was to weak to pick myself back up again. 

I was told once that admitting I have a problem is the first step to recovery. But, I admitted I had a problem a long time ago, and I've never been further from solving it.

~

"So, where is the new kid?" I asked impatiently as I waited around the student council office. Arthur sighed and leaned across his desk, a paper in his hand.

"I don't know. Apparently Michelle was supposed to bring him here, but...." He trailed off. Michelle tended to get distracted really easily.

"Well, I have a history test today..." I forgot to study again. He sighed and pulled out a pad of paper.

"Yeah, yeah. I'll write you a pass," He mumbled as he began scribbling something down.

"Thanks-" The door flew open and bounced off the wall.

"Guess who's here-" The door ricocheted back into Michelle's face, and Arthur sighed as I rushed over to help her up and hand her a tissue. Mentally, I was laughing my ass off.

"Michelle, what do you think you're doing?" Arthur questioned like a disappointed adult. She leaned her  head back to help stop the bleeding.

"Bell," She started, "I bas looking vor da new kib wheb da garbed glub-" Arthur held up a hand to stop her.

"Alright, tell me after you're.... done."

"Thang you," She muttered as she grabbed another tissue. I walked back over and sat on Arthur's desk, causing him to scowl at me, but he didn't push me off.

"Ah, can I come in?" Someone asked from the hallway, and all three of our heads shot up, Michelle yelling slightly as she tweaked her nose, and we all met eyes with an unfamiliar student. Arthur stood up instantly and came out from behind the desk.

"So you did do your job, Michelle," He commented and she stuck her tongue out at him. "You must be the new student, Frances Bonnefoy."

The boy grimaced slightly, but then nodded his head and smiled. "Oui, that would be me," He smirked. I snatched up a piece of paper from Arthur's desk and began folding it, ignoring whatever they were saying.

When I finished, I grabbed another sheet, and began folding it as well. When I was finished, there were about fifteen paper airplanes sitting in a line on the Student Council Presidents desk.

"Alfred!" My head snapped up to see Arthur glaring at me, the new kid staring confused and curious, and Michelle giggling. "What the bloody hell do you think you're doing to my documents?" I grinned wide as I stood up.

"I made them into planes, duh! Now there's a whole squadron of them." I said pleased. He didn't look too happy.

He walked over, grabbed a sheet of unfolded paper from the desk, slapped me along the back of the head, and proceeded to push me out the door.

"Enough messing around," He shoved a pink slip of paper at me, "Here's your pass back to class. I'll show the student around myself." Before I could protest, he shut the door and left me in the hall.

I sighed as I looked down at the paper, my smile faltering, and slowly made my way to the History classroom, hoping with all my might that I would miss the test.