.18.

The next day, Francis returned to school. I had concidered coming, but decided against it in favor of supervising the memorial service for Matthew being set up.

I dressed for the day in slacks and a loose button down, at least attempting to look decent for those he hired. Arthur had thought to pack my suit for the next day, so now I really had no reason to go home until after my Dad left.

I grabbed the spare key Arthur had apparently left last night after he dropped off my things. It was the only reason I know my Dad hadn't gotten ahold of him, because my things had been here this morning.

I decided to walk to the Church first however. Not to actually go in, I never really was much into the whole Church scene.

I stood outside, staring up at the edifice as I remembered all of the Sundays my Mother had taken us all to Church, despite us boys protests.

'Never anything wrong with a little extra prayer' She always told us. I suppose she was right, but I stopped putting faith in prayer a long time ago.

I didn't stay for long, and soon turned from the large white building.

"Alfred?" I heard the voice, and ran. I wasn't talking to him, I didn't care what he had to say. "Alfred!" I wouldn't turn around.

I continued running until the city, where I composed myself and began walking to the restaurant that I had reserved for tomorrow. It was a small family restaurant, one that Matthew had always loved, and man did they serve some hella delicious pancakes.

They were closed today, but I walked in anyways, seeing many people, not just the employees, running around.

"Alfred!" An older woman came out of the back and wrapped me in a hug.

"Hey, Mrs. Cloveland," I greeted returning the hug. This woman had gotten me and Matthew out of more than one hairy situation a when we were younger. She was kind of like there caretaker when our parents weren't around. Meaning, Mattie and I ran off a lot to cause trouble.

"It's been a while," She said as she pulled me out to arms length and looked me over, "Are you still growing?" She questioned as she looked up at me, "You'd think you'd have stopped by now, goodness gracious." She said exasperated.

"Really?" I scratched at my head, "I really don't think I've grown that much."

"No, no," She waved her hand, "I think you've grown plenty." She was smiling through all of this, but then it turned into a scowl.

"Why aren't you in school?" I chuckled nervously, "Are you a delinquent? You already repeated a year, and now you're skipping school?" She whacked me with a wooden spoon she seemingly pulled out of nowhere, "Boy, I outta smack you into next Tuesday. You wanna be a high school drop out?" She pointed the spoon at me questioning before letting out a huff, "Well, I'll forgive it just this once, because of tomorrow," She tucked the spoon into her apron, "Now, come look over preparations with me.

~

At around noon when I was eating lunch, courtesy of Mrs. Cloveland, my phone began buzzing in my pocket and I answered it around a mouthful of food.

"Hello?"

"Are you really eating right now?" Was my greeting and I swallowed quickly.

"Well yeah, Art, it's lunch time."

"You know what I meant," I could practically see him scowl. I waved over to Mrs. Cloveland, signaling I would be right back, and walked out of the busy restaurant.

"What's up?" I asked asked I leaned against the front of the building, people watching the thin crowd that passed by.

There was a mother and her son, a business man on his lunch break, a small group of students who, like me, decided today would be a good day to skip school, a father pushing a stroller and walking a dog, and others.

"I have the final head count," Arthur answered, "For tomorrow?" He inquired.

"Oh, that's perfect. I'm actually at the restaurant now," I said, looking back at the windows and looking in at the bustling activity.

"Alright then," He shuffled papers, "So, the final head count for the student body is," He paused for a moment, most likely reading over his paper, "Two hundred and seventy-four." He finally said.

I looked back at the restaurant, "Alright, so that brings the total to a two hundred and ninety-two. Thanks, Artie." There was a sharp rap on the glass near my head, and I looked in to see Mrs. Cloveland tapping her wrist.

"I have to go," I told Arthur, "I have some arrangements to make."

We said our goodbyes, and I stuffed my phone back in my pocket and walked inside.

"Well," I said, looking at my former not-official caretaker, "I have the final headcount." I took me seat back up at the counter and continued eating.

"Oh, good. What is it, dear?" She asked as she cleaned up behind the counter.

"Two hundred and ninety-two, give or take a few people." She looked up with shock.

"That's nearly a hundred more than last year," She said in shock.

"Do you think you can handle it?" I asked, already knowing the answer.

"Don't insult me boy," She said haughtily. "Lilly!" A young girl, barely any older than myself, poked her head through the kitchen door.

"Yes, Mom?" She asked softly.

"We have that final count we needed."

"Oh, good, I was just trying to decide how much cake to make," Lily informed us. Her eyes darted to me, "Hey, Alfred." I returned the greeting. This was Mrs. Cloveland's daughter, so on those occasions where the eccentric old woman saved Mattie's and mine's asses from trouble, we usually ended up playing with Lily until our parents came and got us.

"Two hundred ninety-two," Mrs. Cloveland said, smiling at the shocked look on her daughters face.

"Oh," She finally said, "Um, I think I'll go call... the supply company." She scurried off to order more ingredients.

"You're really working us Alfred," The boisterous woman leaned on the counter.

I stopped eating and smiled.

"Yeah, but you can do it."

"Damn, right."

~

~

~

So, all of your words and kindness meant a lot to me today. Thank you all, I was worried I'd seem pushy or rude, but you all made those worries go away! So, I'm going to try air more frequent updates (every few days).

Also, I was wondering if there may he something specific you'd like to happen? For a filler chapter, or such. I may take it into consideration~

Alright then, thank you all!

~Au revior