Chapter 29 - Jesse

"Look at the clothes Nana bought us!" Makayla says, running into the house.

"Wow, lucky you," Jesse says, watching Makayla and Cheryl prance about in their new clothes. "Your haircuts look really good, too. Very stylish."

Jesse had given the girls money for haircuts and clothes partly because he wanted them to look nice for Evan's birthday and partly because he was buying their cooperation. He was sure that, like himself, the girls were feeling nervous and not too enthusiastic about spending an evening with Evan and his friends. Thankfully, Sara's mom, Deidre, had agreed to help today and had taken the girls out to buy new outfits and get their hair cut while he was at work.

Now the girls were brimming with excitement and eager for a ride in the Pearl. Jesse had insured the Pearl for a few days before it would go back in storage until it sold. Even in storage, he could not afford to insure the car for long. But today, the car was insured for driving and Jesse intended to enjoy it.

Since it was a two-seater, one of his daughters would ride with him to Evan's birthday party, and the other would ride home with him. Deidre would drive Jesse's regular car and take whichever girl wasn't travelling with Jesse.

Jesse's new light grey pants felt comfortable as did his casual navy and grey striped shirt and dark grey leather jacket. His clothes were casual, yet  far more stylish and better fitting than what he normally wore. He was spending too much, but it was okay - once the car sold, his debt would seem trivial.

There was something about his grandpa's car – the Pearl - every time he sat in it, he felt like it changed him. He wanted new clothes, a clean shave, a good hair cut. He wanted to be deserving of the car. The Pearl shone. It purred after the mechanics had worked on it. It wasn't quite as rare as grandpa had suggested, but Jesse hadn't taken any chances and after talking to several insurance agencies and experts of rare cars, he had insured the 1959 Ferrari 250LWB California Spyder for $4 million. His gift to Evan was going to be to take each of Evan's guests for a quick ride in the Pearl.

Jesse holds two pieces of paper in his hand, making them look equal in length. "Pick one," he says to Makayla who is closer to him. Makayla draws the long one.

"I'm sorry, Cheryl," Makayla says. "You should be first to ride with Dad, you're older."

"It's okay," Cheryl says. "I can wait for the ride home. Anyway, it's a nice day and Dad will probably want the top down and I want to keep my hair nice."

"Well, if you're sure," Makayla replies rubbing her hands in delight.

"Totally sure," Cheryl says. "I'll ride in the car coming home. I'm happy with that."

"Okay, cool," Makayla says without hesitation. "Yay! When do we leave? Should I wear a hat?"

Within minutes, everyone is ready to leave.

"Wow, Dad. Wow!" Makayla says as she settles into the soft lavender, leather seat. "I thought it would be all old and dusty, but it feels like new."

"I had everything redone. It's a 1959 Ferrari Spyder. A rare, race car."

"I love the colour of the seats. And the paint on the outside. And the old fashioned radio. Okay, I'm ready. Let's race, Dad!"

"On the quiet streets, maybe. Not on the highway. This car stands out so much, I'd get a speeding ticket for sure!"

"OK no tickets, but when you can, go fast. And I want one short ride with the top down. 'K Dad?"

"Sure, kid."