Chapter 9 - Jesse

Jesse takes a deep breath as he walks towards the extended care home. It has been several months since he was last here. Entering the building, he waves at the receptionist and walks down the hall towards his grandpa's room. He had been lucky to get the corner unit for Joe; it was slightly bigger than the others. Still, the entire place is cloaked with death and depression.

Joe is propped up in a padded wheelchair looking outside when Jesse enters his room.

"Hi Grandpa!" Jesse says warmly. "How are you feeling today?"

Joe continues looking out his window. "You see that yellow bird? It should've flown south weeks ago."

"Where? I don't see any birds," Jesse says, leaning over his grandpa to look out the grimy window. All he sees are the evergreen trees being thrown about by rain and wind, a crazy green dance.

"No you wouldn't," Joe says.

"Why don't I push you into the lobby? We can have a visit there," Jesse suggests.

"You have to stay in one place to see the little things, to notice change."

"If you're referring to the move the kids and I made last year, it was necessary."

"How's that working for you? Building up equity by buying and selling houses?"

"Good, it's what I do. The home we're in now - it's beautiful. The kids can walk to the best school in the area. We're close to everything and they love the yard."

"Kids need homes, not houses," Joe says in his usual, monotone voice.

What is it with old people's voices? Jesse wonders. Their voices and expressions, exclamations of delight or anger, all exaggerated, distorted variations of how they had been in their youth. Joe had always been in control. At work, at home, even when on holiday, Joe exuded confidence and made friends easily. Perhaps that was why he seemed so bitter here. 

"My house is a home," Jesse says. "We have an in-ground pool the kids used every day during the summer. I'm adding a suite in the basement, too. Maybe you'd like to move in when it's done. We'd love to have you live with us."

"Sounds grand. When are you going to find them a new mom?"

"Grandpa," Jesse steps away from the window, pulls his shoulders back, and sighs. "You know I can't. I'm working my ass off to make things good for us, but I won't do that."

"It's right there," Joe points a long, gnarled finger slowly towards the window. "Can't you see the feeders hanging in the trees?"

Jesse steps towards the window again. "You're right. There are some bird feeders, but there aren't any birds."

"By the red feeder that's tipped on its side."

"I don't think there's any food in those feeders, Grandpa."

Jesse searches the feeders. The feeders swing, faded and old. A forgotten attempt, years ago, at cheerfulness. Then Jesse sees a bright flash of yellow. He watches the feeder twist and turn in the wind like a diamond spinning on its point, offering brief glimpses of a goldfinch - sometimes called a wild canary - discordant on the cold, grey, northwest coast.

Joe re-positions himself in his chair, turning his cloudy eyes towards Jesse. "Why are you here?"

"To see how you are doing and to ask you if you'd like to come over for dinner on Friday."

"I got nothing better to do."

"Good, then I'll leave work early and pick you up."

"Fine."