Chapter 27 - Peter

"Evan's having a party and he would like us both to go.  Are you interested?" Peter asks Chantelle.

"Sure.  I've heard so much about Evan, it would be good to finally meet him." 

Peter lies on the bed, watching Chantelle as she flips through hangers in their closet, looking for an outfit to wear the following day.  She selects stretchy, navy pants and a tailored, white blouse that doesn't need to be tucked in.  Looking through her jewellery box, she turns her ring round her finger with her thumb.  

"I love, love, love this ring, Peter.  It's so colourful, I can wear it with anything. I've had so many compliments too, because it's such an unusual engagement ring."

"Joe's gonna love seeing you wearing it." Peter smiles, remembering how Joe insisted Peter take the ring and pay only what he could afford, a fraction of its actual value.

"We're really lucky, aren't we?" Chantelle asks.

"I'm really lucky, you mean," Peter laughs. "But yes, you're right.  That's why I want to keep in touch with Evan.  I'm so happy for him and I hope he can experience some of what we have.  He deserves to be happy."  Peter glances down at the massive biology text book, open on the bed in front of him.  He has been looking periodically at the same page for over an hour, but nothing is sinking in. 

"Are you worried about your test tomorrow?"

"Not really."

"What's worrying you, then?"

"Nothing." Peter sighs.

"Tell me," Chantelle insists, her full attention on Peter.

"I don't know.  The thing is, geez, well... I'll just come out and say it because I don't want us to have secrets from each other," Peter says.  Chantelle's eyes grow wide, showing a mixture of fear and concern.  "Don't worry.  It's not bad. I mean it is, but it's not what you think.  You have no idea..." Peter sits up, trying to alleviate her fear.

"Oh my God, just spit it out, already!"

"It's just that, well, Evan and his friend, Ana, can hear each other's thoughts. I've known for almost a year.  I told Evan not to tell anyone what he can do. I don't know why, but I just feel like they need protected, but I'm not sure how I can help. At the same time, I feel like I'm a co-conspirator, like I know something that I should be telling other people about."

"Wow. I wasn't expecting that kind of confession," Chantelle says, smiling. "Really? You really think they can do that?"

"I don't think they can. I know they can.  I've seen it and Evan told me they could.  His secret was tearing him up inside.  It was actually Ana who first told him not to tell anyone else. Now I feel like I've made you part of it and I didn't want to involve you." Peter wrings his hands, hoping Chantelle will believe him, or at least forgive him for his hair brained beliefs. Her grin confuses him, offering neither understanding nor support.

"First, if it's true that they can read each others minds, that's not a crime.  So you keeping what they can do secret, is not a crime either."

"But you don't actually believe they can," Peter says, a trace of bitterness in his voice.  Why did he confide in Chantelle? Why would she believe what he just told her? It sounded crazy, even to Peter.

"I thought you were going to say something horrible like you had found someone else."

"God no!"

"I do believe you," Chantelle says, sitting on the bed beside Peter, her grin gone. "Just give me a minute, it's a lot to take in," Chantelle pauses for a moment. "I'm trying to understand.  The 'telepathy' they share maybe allows Ana and Evan unrestricted communication that they probably hadn't experienced before. So when they are together, they can function, relate to each other, like other people."