Chapter 23 - Peter

"So this is it," Peter says. "The big day!"

"Yes," Evan says.

Peter listens to his phone as it bleats out map directions. Peter's shift today consists of driving Evan to his grandfather's home and helping him set up his belongings. Peter has also been asked to look carefully at where Evan will be staying and note anything that may pose a risk to Evan's wellbeing.

Peter is a little unclear as to his role and the role of the Ministry. He isn't sure if Evan is still under the Ministry's care or if he has left care completely.

"Boy," Peter says. "This is a pretty long drive to your grandpa's, but I think we've arrived."

Peter turns into a long driveway. A willow tree brushes the car as he drives past. Ahead is a large white house with a huge veranda stretching around the bottom of it. Gladiolas surround the house with blooms of pink, purple, and yellow. Sturdy, short palm trees grace the front entrance. Peter parks the car and checks his hair and teeth in the rear view mirror.

Stepping out of the car, Peter is shocked by the quiet. It is so quiet. No lawn mowers. No cars. Nothing. The sound of birds and bees sound loud in the quiet and stillness of the late afternoon. Everything is settling down as the day ends. It is an incredible paradise, far above farmland in the valley, below.

Peter opens the hatch of the car and helps Evan get his bags out. Despite living in the ministry's care for over ten years, Evan only has three bags. All the bags were set out prior to Peter arriving on shift. They are light and Peter assumes they contain mostly clothes. He briefly wonders about the camera that Evan's mom had apparently given Evan many years ago. He had left a note inquiring about it, but had not heard anything since and until now, had completely forgotten about it.

"Well hello there!" Joe calls from the front door. "I've been waiting all day for you! Thought you'd changed your mind!"

"No way, Grandpa," Evan calls. "We made a deal."

"We did, didn't we! And look at us now! We've done it. I never could have imagined this day or how much I've looked forward to it!" Joe gave Evan a pretend punch to the arm. Still smiling broadly, he turns to Peter. "And you must be...?" Joe asks, stretching his hand out.

"Peter," Peter shakes Joe's hand. "It's been a real honour getting to know Evan this past year."

"He's a character. Come in, come in. Sit down and have a drink. You don't have to leave right away?"

"No. I'd love to stay."

Peter follows Evan and Joe into the house.

"This is a beautiful home you have," Peter says.

"Thank you. Most of it was my wife's design. She passed away several years ago."

"I'm sure she'd be pleased by how you've kept it up."

Joe grunts and turns away. Peter isn't sure, but he thinks he sees a small smile on Joe's face. Family pictures line the walls. Peter stands in front of them, looking at faces from decades ago.

"You have a very attractive family."

"Had," Joe says. "Most everyone's gone now. It's just Evan and his brother left now. And some grandkids."

"I'm sorry to hear that."

Peter sits down across from Joe in the living room. The home has numerous decorations, mostly a variety of art. There is no real theme, but each piece has it's own spot and is interesting to look at.

"Did your wife and you travel a lot?"

"Yes. She loved traveling. Everywhere we went she brought back at least one piece of art."