Chapter 48

Walking up to the pack house was probably one of the hardest things I had to do all week. I didn't know how I was going to be received considering I pretty much turned my back on the pack after the battle. Not only did I make a bad impression as a Luna but to the High council as well. I shouldn't have detached myself from the pack like that. 

Taking a deep breath I followed Striker into the house that was surprisingly quiet. I didn't see any kids or pack member. 

"Where is everyone?" I ask looking around. 

"The High council has been really strict the past week; no one is supposed to leave the grounds. Most families have been staying in their rooms; they don't want to be a nuisance to the High council." Striker says moving to the hall that Preston's office is in. "I've got to go report into the High council, they are over at your... the pack house." He says before giving me a soft wave and leaving out the doors. 

Taking a deep breath I make my way to Preston's office slowly. Once in front of the door I bring my hand up and knock on the door. A few seconds go by and the door doesn't open, bringing my hand up to knock again the door opens. 

"Dee?" Preston says quietly in disbelief.  

I give him a small smile. He looks the same, a little more tired looking but still the same. His clothes were a little wrinkled and he needed to shave, he had a light coat of facial hair. 

"Hey," I say a little awkwardly. "Can I come in?" I ask. 

He nods and moves aside so I can brush by. Fidgeting with my hands I walk into the room and stand there a little uncertain. When the door is closed Preston moves so he's leaning on his desk, his arms crossed in front of him. 

I swallow and move up to him, my heart beating hard and fast. "Preston," I say quietly as I'm in front of him. He looks as uncertain as I feel, "Preston, I'm sorry." I whisper moving my arms to his.  

His touch shocks me until I feel the tingle and warmth, I move his arms so their uncrossed and lying on his sides. Without talking I move into his arms, my walls crashing down, letting him in, letting him feel what I feel, hear what I think. I wrap my arms around his back and snuggle into him. He doesn't do anything for a moment and I worry that maybe I should have done this differently but a second later his arms wrap around me, bringing me closer to him. 

I close my eyes and let him feel me; I can feel him in my mind taking everything in. I could feel his sadness and joy at having me back; his hurt when I blocked him out for a week and a half... well really five days since I don't count me being kidnapped at avoiding him.  

I was so worried Dee. His voice is like honey in my mind making me snuggle in closer to him. 

I know, I'm so sorry Preston. I whisper back feeling him rub my back gently. I just needed to work things out. I pull back slightly to look into his eyes.  

I just wish that you wouldn't have shut me out. I hear the hurt and look down biting my lip lightly. I mean you killed for the first time, I know that isn't easy to take in, I could have helped you. 

Tears brim my eyes at this news. I know, I just... I break off shaking my head and cuddling up to him. It freaked me out, killing him and then having my mom in a coma, it was all too much. 

Shh, it's ok Dee, shh. He whispers as I silently sob in his arms. I don't blame you for shutting us out. I did the same thing when I made my first kill. It just hurt knowing you were suffering alone. 

He picks me up and I wrap my legs around his waist as he moves us to the couch. I lay my head on his shoulder as he sits down. 

I didn't want to have to face you. I knew you didn't want me to challenge him but I did... I just didn't want you to think of me differently. I finally tell him.