Chapter 35

Huffing I kept running, seeing my target in sight. After I ran from the house I continued to run into town, not once stopping. I would say it was a marathon to be honest. I ran across town to the one person who I know would help me understand this.  

Seeing the house loom over me I gave a brief sigh of relief. I'm almost there, just a few more yards and I will be there. My throat hurts at every drag of air I bring in, I need water; my throat felt like it was on fire with all the nonstop running. I couldn't handle anymore, my steps falter just slightly once I get closer to the house. Seeing Preston's truck gone I knew that he wasn't going to be here. Which is good, I need time to myself before I troubled him with my mother's words. 

Not stopping to knock on the front door I just rush in, glad to see that most of the house was deserted, just a few children here and there along with their mothers. I ignore all the looks I got from those who are up and walking around. I couldn't stop to reassure them that everything was fine, I'm sure they have alerted Jamie that I was here. If anything she will come to check up on me and make sure that everything was alright. I made a mad dash to the basement stairs until I reached the one door who I knew would help. 

Rushing towards the hall I look at every door that is lettered until I come across one, Doc. Opening the door I literally collapsed in the nearest chair, startling the doctor so much he jumped a foot in the air. I haven't met the pack doctor just yet, but I knew that he would help me. He must have some tests he can do to make sure my mother isn't lying. 

"Good heavens child, are you alright?" He asks putting his glasses down and walking over to me slowly. 

"I need- water." I wheeze out gulping for air and pushing the stray hair out of my face. Sweat drips down my face and wipe it away taking deep drags of air.  

He didn't hesitate he went to the sink and filled a paper cup up and handed it to me. I didn't waste any time in consuming it, gulping it down like I've been stranded in the dessert for days. I swallow and close my eyes at the cold sensation is brings as it slides down my throat, calming the ache that was there moments ago. 

"Dee? Are you alright?" He asks. I look at him in shock that he knows my name but then I remember that Preston told his pack about me being his mate. 

"Can you call Dr. Manor for me? I have- I need help." I pant out trying to get my thoughts in order to talk to the man. My mind was like a ticking time bomb, once I left my house it just exploded sending all my thoughts racing around my head. I need to focus, get the two of them in here and then I can try to explain. I don't need them thinking that I'm a nut case, after all I do need to worry about Preston's reputation too. 

He hesitates for a moment before nodding. "Sure, sure, she just came in last night." He says softly and dials a number. He doesn't take his eyes off me as I lean forward and rest my head in my hands taking deep breath of air. 

"Dr. Manor, this is an emergency I need to see you in my office." He's quiet for a moment. "I'm not sure, but Dee has requested an audience with you." He stops and nods before hanging up the phone. 

"She will be right in; I just caught her at a bad moment in an experiment. Do you need me to call Preston? He's in a meeting with one of the neighboring packs but he can come back-" 

"No." I interrupt him not caring if I sounded rude. "No. I need your help, and Dr. Manor." I can feel the tears pool in once more but I hold them back. I can't tell Preston right now, he already has so much going on with trying to capture these rogues and find allies to call upon if a battle does happen. He can't know of this, not right now. 

"Yes, of course, whatever it is Dee I'm here to help. Can you tell me what has you in this fright?" He asks gently. "Why don't you lie down?" He says helping me up on my jelly filled legs and onto the cot.