Chapter 9

Drew Roy (Mike)-------->

**Preston's P.O.V** 

"Hey, Preston." I heard Scott say coming into the small office that my father had given me. I looked up and smiled at him. 

He whistled and looked around the office. "Wow, it's getting serious now." He said trying to joke, but I could hear the nerves in his voice. 

Since my birthday was in a few days that means that I will be taking over for my father as Alpha. Every Alpha passes down their title once their eldest turns eighteen, along with the Beta and other authority figures in the pack. To say that everyone was nervous was an understatement. Since I am turning eighteen before Scott it still means that he gets the position on the night of my birthday. My father had each given us a small office space for us to take over, I was originally going to be taking over my fathers, but I couldn't do that to him. He still had authority even though I was going to be Alpha he was still a part of the leading council.  

"It's crazy right?" I asked and he nodded, sitting in the chair opposite of me. 

"Kinda nerve wrecking." He agreed. "So I heard you wanted to talk to me."  

I leaned back in my chair, looking at him with a level look. I had wanted to talk to him since I got here, regarding a little certain mate of mine, but he'd been busy and always out when I wanted to talk to him. Since I was taking over for my father in a few days I needed to get everything with my mate sorted out. And all that leads is to Scott, I wasn't going to go dig into her past, since it's one of the rules, I just needed some answers from him. Since Dee was going to be the Luna of the pack I needed to tell Scott. Well I really needed to tell everyone that I had found my mate considering that they look down at people who haven't found their mates yet.  

I needed to tell them so they didn't mock my authority or doubt it. Having a Luna at your side just helps the image of a strong Alpha, but my mate was a little different than most. She was full of secrets and a past that she wants to forget about. She doesn't trust easily. 

"I did actually." I leaned forward, my hands on my desk. "You know that I haven't found my mate right?" He nodded. "Well, it's funny actually because I had found her a few weeks ago." I looked for his reaction and was surprised to see him shocked. 

"When?" He stuttered out.  

"When I had come into town and was at that teen club." I said. 

"So she's human than?" He asked in surprise and I nodded. 

"The only problem is, she doesn't seem to like the idea of anyone getting close to her. And I have to ask you, and I need you to be honest." I said giving him a very straight serious look making him nod hesitantly, confused on the sudden turn in the conversation. "Are you involved with my mate? Dee?"  

All was quiet in the room. His mouth opened in surprised then closed, his eyes were wide as he looked at me. 

"Dee? As in Deidre Johnson, my best friend Dee?" He asked. 

I nodded. "I had felt that pull when I first touched her after I had saved her. And I have been feeling the bond and the pull strength every time I am near her. Now, answer my question and I want honesty." I said. 

You see when a werewolf finds his mate he becomes incredibly possessive over her. All males become your worst enemy, you don't want anyone looking at her or touching her. And it has been killing me to see how casually Scott touches her to help calm her down. One of the very reasons why I want to gain her trust so much is so she can feel comfortable with me like that. She already knows about us which is a good thing, so I don't have to worry about frightening her too much, but I still don't know how she will react if I told her she was my mate.