Chapter Thirteen - Awkward Communications

Song Recommendation: "Heavy Gloom" by The Story So Far

Awkward Communications
Wesley

The ride back to Bekka's apartment was awkward. I felt the need to keep her ex away from her as much as possible. It didn't help that she was sitting in the middle of the taxi's backseat. I wanted to shove Nelson out. This wasn't jealousy, I was just worried.

Bekka's phone started ringing. She sighed and picked it up. "Hey."

My eyes narrowed when I recognized the voice on the other line. It was Kai. I slouched in my seat and sighed. My eyes darted to Nelson, who seemed to be fidgeting in his seat.

"So Nelson, you live in Oklahoma?"

He turned to me and looked over Bekka while she talked on the phone. "Um yea, Gravon. It's a small town that really isn't noticeable."

"Interesting. What do you want to get out of coming here?" I grunted at Bekka's laughter. Kai had just made her laugh.

Nelson sighed. "I plan to live a life here and mend me and Bekka's relationship."

I thought about the kiss we'd shared in the back room at the café. Good luck, I thought. Bekka seemed interested in me, somewhat. She wouldn't go for Nelson after what he did to her. I wouldn't let her do something that stupid anyways.

Nelson turned to me. "What's your relationship with Bekka?"

I smirked and looked out the window, then drifted my eyes back. "Wouldn't you like to know?"

Nelson rolled his eyes. "Whatever."

The taxi came to a stop in front of Bekka's apartment. She said goodbye to Kai and hung up. "Thank you sir." She went to pay, but I intercepted her and paid quicker.

She half smiled at me. "Thanks, but I'll get it next time."

I grinned and shook my head. "Never."

Nelson was already out the car, taking groceries out the trunk. I helped him out and grabbed a few bags. Bekka turned to us and rolled her eyes. "I'm not weak guys!"

Nelson laughed. "When we went to that ranch a few years ago, you struggled with those hay bunches."

Bekka narrowed her eyes. "Fine."

We started walking up the stairs. Bekka opened her door and lead us inside. I placed the bags on the kitchen table. Nelson followed and did the same.

"Um, I'm gonna take a nap, I don't feel good," Nelson mumbled, walking towards the room that must've been Bekka's mom.

Bekka nodded. "If you're in pain, I'll have medicine."

Nelson half smiled and stared at Bekka. "Thanks, I'll take it later."

"I'll put your dinner in the microwave if you don't come out to eat," Bekka said.

I narrowed my eyes and started helping Bekka put the groceries away. "Why are you even nice to that guy? You're letting him live here after all that has happened."

Bekka sighed. She watched me closely as she crumbled up the plastic bags. "Life is short. I'm not gonna waste it on hating people, when I could be enjoying it. I'm not saying that I'll forget what happened to me and my brother, but I'm just not gonna let it dictate my whole life. I missed out on life during my coma, I won't let it happen while I'm actually awake. "

"Oren will probably feel the same way if he ever wakes up." I placed a cereal box on the fridge and turned back to the counter. That was the last one. Nice.

"He will wake up, Wes. I can tell."

"How can you?" I narrowed my eyes, "he looks dead, Bekka. The doctors have asked his parents multiple times when they wants to pull the plug. I have argued with them countless times that it shouldn't be pulled yet, but at this point even the doctors are starting to lose faith. I'm afraid. . . I'm afraid that I am too."

Bekka approached me quickly. "Don't you dare even say that Wesley Rowe. You should be the one that never gives up on Oren. You are his best friend? Then act like one. You must know how it is to lose someone, correct? It doesn't hit you at that moment. You just simply stay in denial. It hits you two months later, when you call them and you need them for something or just haven't seen them in a while. But then you get their voicemail and you realize, 'holy shit they're gone.' That pain hits you, but it doesn't go away, it's a constant ache. Don't let that pain add on from Oren. He will push through."

I stared at her quietly. Such a smart girl. She knew so much about human emotion. Not because she was so intent on studying it, but only because she went through it herself. She learned for her experiences and kept pushing on. Bekka was truly one of the most strongest people I knew.

Bekka started pulling ingredients out to start cooking. Her eyes were low and focused on her task. She took a deep breath then started to talk again. "I remember when I first woke up out of my coma. My first words were 'is Luca okay?' The look on my mother's face as I asked that. . . Well it was heartbreaking. Not only had she had both kids in the hospital, she had to tells the news of her own son's death to her now only child.

"My mother never cried in front of me, she's a therapist, too strong to break down. However, she cried that day. Not because she was mourning Luca, no she cried cause she had to see me go through the pain of losing my best friend. He was the one who truly understood me. He understood my true passion for life. I never went to the funeral. I never got to say goodbye. Nothing. Hell, I didn't even have the chance to call his phone and listen to his voicemail box. Nothing," Bekka smiled bitterly.

"Life has away of being enjoyable, but fucking us over at the same time. When you're happy, you make sure you're not enjoying yourself too much because of what would come next. I learned not to get attached to anything, it never lasts for long," I said, leaning against the counter.

"Anything could last forever if you try hard enough to keep it." Her amber eyes pierced mine intensely. She stared at me as if she wanted to read my mind. I tried looking away, but she was too much of an enigma. Too beautiful.

She would be my undoing.

A/N: YAYAYYYY ANOTHER ONE DONE, WHO'S HAPPY? I AMMMM

YA KNOW WHAT TO DO KIDDIES, 

VOTE, COMMENT, GIMME YOUR LIVER!!