Vampires, Villains and Violins 3

Fear overtook you; you didn't know whether to run or to simply submit. You knew for a fact that fighting would prove to be deadly, since Faolan was much larger than you were, and most definitely a better warrior. Curled into a fetal position, you hoped that you would prove that you were no longer a threat, and that the wolf would simply leave. 

The growling did not cease. In that instance, you gathered you courage to take a peak-- Faolan leapt above you, his ivory fangs bared in sheer threat. You let out a small scream, unsure of what to do. However, you felt no pain. It took you a moment to realize this, but you heard snarls and grunts, a sure sign of a brawl. You lifted your head, sitting on your knees, trying to fit the pieces of the puzzle together in your head.

Faolan had attacked someone behind you! While you were glad of the realization that his snarling was not directed at you, you were overwhelmed, wondering who it was that he didattack. What if it was an innocent traveler? In the scarce light of the moon, you could not see what was happening. You made out two figures in the darkness-- one of the great wolf, and the other of a man. Despite Faolan's great speed and strength, his opponent appeared to be faring quite well against him, dodging and deflecting the wolf's sharp fangs with what seemed like relative ease.

The man extended his hand, slashing at the wolf. Faolan avoided the attack, barking fearsomely as he kicked off of a nearby tree, launching himself forward in a forceful blow. They moved too quickly for your eyes, and after you had blinked, you discovered that they had both suffered injuries. Faolan stood where he was, grunting and breathing heavily. The metallic smell of blood found its way to your nose. His enemy, although more quiet, was obviously heaving in pain as well.

Indeed, this is strange and frightening position to be in. What would you do?

---

a) You would sit silently and observe.

b) You would attempt to run and find your uncle.

c) You would actually say something.

---

Before you can actually think for yourself, Faolan turns to you, his eyes finding yours. You realize for the first time that they are a rich shade of majestic purple... wolves did not normally have purple eyes. And they held such emotion, such character-- you were shocked into absolute silence. After what seemed like an eternity, he returned to his opponent. Faolan parted his lips, speaking in a rich, masculine voice. "I won't allow you to harm her. Now get out." You completely froze.

The figure in the shadows took a step forward, a daring move seeing as Faolan could have lunged and tore him apart. "I am her protector, lycan, appointed with the same charge as you." That voice, that tone... you recognized it. Your memories raced, and you thought of the man in your attic last night. This was the same person-- you would never forget his voice.

"No. Senalda is the protector from your kind. It is she who shares this task with me-- not you."

"Senalda is dead." The man's expression remained calm even as he spoke of something so grim, an eerie trait to have. "Her body was found not two hours ago. The council gathered and declared me as the new protector." He then presented a strange pendant to the wolf, as though to reassure him.

Faolan snorted. "You couldn't have spoken sooner? It would have saved me the trouble." You could see that he relaxed, however irritated he might have been. He then paced toward you, bowing his head as though in a brief apology. "You are safe, _____." 

You were still in shock, and all that you could say in return was, "Y-you can talk."

The wolf appeared to be slightly offended by your remark, but the mysterious man gave a quiet chuckle. "Yes, Faolan is not your common day timber wolf."