Vampires, Villains and Violins 2

interested in seeing how this story develops. Well, I am too. However, I must make a statement; this story will not be like the typical vampire/werewolf/demon story. A good portion of it will center around music so if you don't have a strong appreciation for music, then you're not going to enjoy this piece. Just letting you know. ;) Enjoy. Comments are appreciated! "

You lived with your uncle, a poor but happy violin maker. With the rise of technology, it seemed as though there were more and more instruments competing with his deftly-crafted creations. You knew that his violins were only of the best quality, but the process by which he assembled and repaired violins was a slow one. Financially, he made enough to get by, even with his niece under the roof. However, he could not afford any luxuries for you anymore than his beautifully crafted instruments.

That was enough for you. Music was your life, your passion. The violin was something that you spent hours of your day playing, often procrastinating on your school work in order to practice. You were aspiring to become a performer, a teacher, but mostly a musician. As long as you could manage to earn a music scholarship, you wouldn't need to worry too much about your academics. Of course, a failing grade wouldn't be pleasant on a report card, but as long as you remained in the B range, you were very safe with the career path you chose.

Despite your uncle's meager wage, he had friends. One of these friends was a very highly regarded violinist and instructor, who proposed a trade. Your uncle would replace and rehair his bows, and in return, you would receive lessons. It was a wonderful offer, particularly for you. In order to succeed as a violinist, you would need the guidance of someone with more experience. With the help of Mr. Faraport, you learned the skills of a true musician.

You were considered a musical prodigy, a virtuoso on the violin and other instruments such as the piano. In competitions and auditions, your scores topped the charts, leaving other brilliant musicians in the dust. Your name was well known in Tennessee and even looked upon with approval in the United States.

Yet... you never wanted fame. You never searched for it. It just happened to find you. All you wanted was your music. When you played the violin, wondrous things happened to you. Your body was filled with a warm pleasure that you could not find through any other activity, and your heart soared through the notes that the instrument sang. Perhaps that was why you loved the violin so much-- it offered you a freedom that you could not otherwise obtain.

---

It was a normal day, and the bell had just rang, freeing you from the clutches of school. You did not dislike school, nor did it put stress on you like it might have done to other students, but you were glad that the day was over. High school was supposedly the most difficult few years of your life, and while you didn't find it hard, your pursuit of music was definitely more challenging.

Luckily, you had friends, mostly musicians who had accepted you as the concert master of their school orchestra. You were friendly and kind, able to converse with people easily. Despite all of your musical achievements, you had a good mixture of confidence and modesty, which was a combination difficult to obtain for most people. With a sigh, you hoisted your violin case onto your shoulder.

To the north of the school was an untouched forest. That was where your uncle lived. As much as he appreciated his work and music, he didn't like people very much. Maybe that was why he was financially shaky? Uncle Cooper never went out of his way to advertise for his instruments. He preferred his friends to do most of the advertising for him, and they did a decent job of it, considering just how wonderful his instruments were.

It was about a mile from home to the school, but the walk was enjoyable for the most part. This was the route you took everyday to and from school. Today, your friend Laine was coming home with you because both of you had volunteered to play a duet at the art show. Laine was an aspiring violist, a very talented player, and although she could not outshine you in a string ensemble, she had her own strengths. She was enlisted in the chorus and drama classes as well, an independent, confident and beautiful girl of eighteen. The both of you got along rather well.

Your uncle lived in a small cottage at the edge of the forest. Personally, you loved the place because it was all that you knew. Your parents had died in a boating accident when you were a mere toddler so you were sent to live with your only other relative-- Uncle Cooper.

Laine, however upbeat she usually was, grew nervous within the shadow of the forest. As the two of you drew close to the cottage, she gasped. "Laine? What is it?" you asked.

"There!" she said, pointing at a figure in the distance. 

Through the faint light that leaked through the trees, you could make out the shapes of several animals. You laughed softly. "They're just wolves... they won't hurt you." One particularly large wolf made its way into your view. He was a beautiful beast, strong and as regal as any canine should have been. "That's Faolan," you whispered. "Uncle Cooper says that he's been the leader of his pack for years."

Faolan drew close to you, but not an uncomfortable distance. He kept his pack decently far from the cottage. The wolf locked eyes with you for a mere second, and you felt a strange flutter of curiosity. However, your attention was broken when Laine spoke.

"_____, let's get going. We need to practice." She was nervous too, but she mentioned nothing but the truth.

You agreed, sparing the wolves one last glance before entering the house. The rest of the day was spent among the various notes of your pieces. You and Laine discussed the characteristics of the music you were given, and then began to work at fitting it together. Music was so much more complicated than what many were led to believe. Although the both of you were accomplished string musicians, there were other aspects beyond the tempo and rhythm. It took hours, but you managed to sort though the dynamics and general style of the pieces.

When night fell, it was decided that you would meet Laine early in the morning before school began to practice just a bit more before the afternoon's art show. You walked your friend to the edge of the forest, where her father would drive by the road to pick her up. After that was finished, you walked back home. 

By the light of the moon, you could pick your way through the worn path of leaves and grasses. As you walked, an odd, wary sensation filled you. What in the world was going on? The hair on the back of your neck pricked, causing goose bumps to appear on your skin. It wasn't particularly cold this April night so you weren't sure what to make of it. All you knew was that this time, this place was not where you should have been.

Your heart beat alarmingly in your chest, as though warning you about something that was about to happen. Of course, you had no idea what it was trying to tell you. The forest had always been a safe place. Briefly, you thought of the stranger who had visited you last night when you picked up your violin. Who was he? Did his appearance have anything to do with this?

Perhaps you should have been afraid that someone could so silently enter your house. After all, it was a sign that you were not entirely safe... but somehow, you weren't. There was no fear at this thought, only mere curiosity. 

This, however... this feeling that you had now. This was fear.

As you wandered closer to the cottage, you heard a growl. Even in the pale light, you made out the shape of Faolan. You were positive that this was the leader of the wolf pack, for he was much, much larger than the average wolf. All the same, in all of your years living in the forest with the wolves, you had never seen them act aggressively except toward prey. His golden eyes were focused on you right now, his lips drawn back in a fearsome snarl. "Faolan..?" you asked, as though in a question of confirmation.

Did you do something wrong? Did you upset the wolf? You didn't know, but worry coursed through your veins.

Faolan barked warningly, and you stood where you were, afraid to move. Your legs shook below your body. The wolf would not take his eyes off of you; he unleashed a terrifying growl and then lunged in your direction. You automatically fell to the ground frantically, your arms covering your head and face in an attempt to save yourself...