Blood-lust 2

The sun was just peeking over the horizon when Beatrice left the clan house, reveling in the fact that she could at least leave the cold brickwork, even if she couldn't actually leave the grounds. She often kept awake to see the sun rise; it made her think that there was still some humanity left in her. Alice had long since gone to bed, she needed her sleep and Viridian, having given up her endless quest to fill her face, had gone of to read one of the many Terry Prachett books that were littered untidily on her floor.

Viridian and Beatrice had once shared quarters, but Beatrice, ever the neat-freak, couldn't be doing with the constant mess, not to mention the constant snoring that Viridian caused, had been more than happy to move in with Alice when she came. She enjoyed having someone a little less gung-ho to talk to, instead of the usual fisherman's talk of "I ate a human and they were this big" that she often spouted. Needless to say now that Alice was more comfortable with her new life Beatrice felt truly alone.

Leaning against the railings on the patio, Beatrice surveyed the garden, as she did almost every time she came out. It was very green with some brightly coloured flower beds scattered around the edge. The Gardener was a human and a very grumpy human at that. If you ever trod on his well kept grass he would give you a scowl that made you afraid, even if death-by-garden-ho was impossible for a Vampire it was not a very appealing thought.

Time moved excruciatingly slowly when you had the world on your shoulders, and that was exactly how Beatrice felt. She did want to fit in with her comrades, wanted to walk through the halls without being mocked or laughed at, and most of all wanted her independence, but she couldn't even think of herself actually drinking willingly, the mere thought made her sick to her recently satisfied stomach. The more she thought about it, the sicker she got and even the freshly-cut-grass smell wasn't going to help. Best not to dwell on things" Her mother had told her. Tears sprung to her eyes. Mother.

Above all else Beatrice missed her family. They had all been very close; she never even fought with her brother. They had met at least monthly, up until she was turned, and enjoyed a lovely meal that could only have been cooked by her mum. In her childhood they had lived in a cosy cottage by a small village and right next to the river where her and her friends had played when they were small. She had lead a charmed life and often discussed this with her new found friends. Alice was always quick to join in walk down memory lane and told of her large family and their small house in the middle of a town. Cramped but happy. Viridian never mentioned it but asked lots of questions, well used to. Katrina rolled her eyes whenever the topic was brought up and walked out of whichever room they were in. Not worth her time.

Beatrice was brought out of her recollections by the patio door opening. Out stepped Dalton, his black hair slightly dishevelled and his blue eyes, misty with fatigue.

"Up late," he said, and yawned, blinking a few times to refocus his sight.

"I could say the same to you." Beatrice grinned and moved over so he could join her. Dalton had never pressured her into drinking, said it would come in time and that she'd just have to be patient. Needless to say, because of this Beatrice had taken an immediate shine to him.

"I am everyday, what's your excuse?" he asked, overlooking the garden with Beatrice, speaking softly and completely relaxed. Beatrice knew he wanted to talk about something; she was rather empathetic and always knew when people had things worrying them.

"I come out here often, to see the sunrise, I sleep in till dark usually though." she told him, continuing their small talk. Dalton nodded and kept looking round.

"I wanted to ask you something..." he looked directly at her, not wasting anymore time."but I don't know how you will react."

Beatrice gulped, her smile only faltering for a second. A bad feeling was growing in her gut, this didn't sound good.