Chapter 1 ~Gabby~

I DO NOT OWN ANY OF THE HARRY POTTER CHARACTERS EXCEPT FOR MY OWN. ALL THE RIGHTS GO TO JK ROWLING :)

Gabby

It was just another normal day at the Brown household. A day spent of cleaning, annoying Veronica, Mrs Brown yelling at me, Victor attempting to beat me up and so on.

My name is Gabrielle Potter, but I like to be called Gabby. I am ten years old, soon to be eleven on July 31st. I am average height, fairly skinny with curly dark blonde hair and chocolate brown eyes and tanned skin. I live with the Brown family. They aren't my real family though. I am told that my parents died in a car crash.

In the lovely Brown family (not) we have Veronica, who is the same age as me, and around the same height, but the resemblance stops there. She has black hair that has been dyed so many times sometimes it just breaks off. She is pudgy and has a sour look about her dull blue eyes.

Then there is Victor, who is three years older. He is muscly and intimidating, but I know better. I know for a fact that he is terrified of spiders. I'm not. I can hold a spider in my bare hands without flinching. I discovered Victor was terrified of spiders when I was three years old and brought home a spider to keep as a pet. Victor ran screaming from the room, Mr and Mrs Brown yelled at me and Veronica squished the spider.

Then we have Mrs Brown. She is an older version of Veronica, exactly the same in figure, hair and eyes. Whenever I do something 'bad', she punishes me in some way. Mrs Brown isn't too fond of knives, unlike her barbaric husband-she prefers slow torture by not feeding me. One time when I was seven, she starved me until I was on the brink of death-I was so thin and delusional that I actually tried to kill myself, but Mrs Brown knew that if I died, she would get put in jail for starving me. So she gave me some stale bread for dinner that day.

And last of all-Mr Brown. Mr Brown is a tall man, hugely intimidating. He has tattoos all down the left sife of his face, with narrow black eyes. He is bony and extremely tall, so he tends to tower over you. He was in jail for twelve years because he carved his name into another man's face with a knife. Mr Brown is quite fond of knives. When I was nine, I asked to have a friend over to play. He screamed at me that I wasn't allowed to have friends because I was a little brat who no one liked. So I retorted, "Rich to your children," and he got out his knife and cut me all down my right cheek and left me bleeding there.

Sometimes, strange things just happen. One time I was in the backyard playing with Veronica's ball and she slapped me, leaving a big red mark. Almost five seconds later, a bird swooped down and started attacking her. She had claw marks all down her face and blamed me. I don't know how it was my fault, but Mrs Brown didn't feed me for a week after that.

One day, on my birthday, I got a letter. It was adressed to me, saying on the envelope:

Miss Gabrielle Potter

The abused girl who lives in the Brown residence but the Browns pretend she doesn't live there

99 Whitlam Street, Little Whinging, Surrey

So I opened the letter, and inside it said that I had been accepted into Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. My eyes nearly popped out. Apparently it was a boarding school. That meant that I would not have to stay at the Browns' anymore, only in the summer holidays! There were two other sheets in the envelope. One was a list of equipment required for when I start. The other was a hand-written letter saying:

Dear Gabby,

My name is Remus Lupin and I will be picking you up to take you to Diagon Alley, where you will buy all your equipment. After we have bought your equipment, you will be staying at my place. You will never have to go back to the Brown family, as I am aware they have nearly killed you. I will become your guardian in the holidays away from Hogwarts.

Please do not tell the Brown family as I am sure they will not allow you to leave. Just pack your bags discreetly and meet me in your bedroom at 5.00pm on August 30th. Be sure to leave a letter on your bed after we leave so they will know where you have gone and not tell the police.

See you on August 30th.

Yours sincerely,

Remus Lupin.

I was excited. I got to leave the Browns' forever! I hurried upstairs and began to pack my bags.

Five minutes before I was due to leave, the inevitable happened. Mr Brown found my bags. I walked up to my room, and found him standing there, next to my bags, holding his knife, with a horrible grin on his face.

"Going somewhere?" he asks evilly. I went white.

"I...uh...was just...practising packing bags," I invented wildly.

Mr Brown edged closer to me. "You know what, Gabrielle Potter?" he asks, his voice sending shivers down my spine. "I think you are a liar and deserve punishment." He holds up his knife and smiles cruelly.

I seem to be frozen as he brings the knife into my chest. There is a flash of light and Mr Brown crumples against the wall. I look down at my chest. The knife is lodged in there, and a dark red stain is slowly spreading across my white shirt. And the pain...oh the pain is so unbelievable that I start to wobble. A man opens my window and peers in.

"Gabby?" he calls, then he sees me, and Mr Brown crumpled against the wall. "No!" he cries. "Gabby! Gabby! Are you OK?" He holds me in his arms as I start to sway.

"Gabby..." he whispers, and you can hear the pain in his voice. "Please stay with me..."

I look into his blue eyes and they are the last thing I see before I black out.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hi everyone

Yeah as you might of guessed Gabby is Harry's sister and so on blah blah blah

anyways, noticed how i had her living in the same suburb as Harry does? I plan to have her notice him when she is escaping with lupin.

Oh, by the way, Lupin is going to become a kind of father to her, so enjoy!

and yeah its kinda rushed but i'll try to ssssllllloooowwww iiittt ddooowwwnnnn......

oh right, on the side it is a picture of Alana Locke, who in my dream cast plays Gabby.

So please vote, comment, fan, whatever!!! :)

from turnip51