[03]

"It's nice to have a crush on someone. It feels like you're alive, you know?"

~Scarlett Johansson

Daryl Dixon

This girl was like nothing I've ever seen before. I've never met a girl who knows how to hunt, I've never even met a girl who knows how to take care of herself. All these women at camp expect their husbands and boyfriends and basically every other guy with a brain to save them. They can't shoot, they can't go one runs alone, they can't even do the laundry right.

It's not that I think these girls aren't capable of protecting themselves, they are. They just need to stop hiding behind the guys and try.

I watched as Skye walked through the woods, tracking a rabbit, haven't seen one of em' in a while.  Skye continued to amaze me the way she followed those tracks, her brown hair swaying as she brushed past each tree.

Skye turned around and gave me a weird look.

"You starin' Dixon?" I scoffed at her question.

"No, just makin' sure you actually know what yer doin'" I said as I rolled my eyes.

"mhmm okay, I'll pretend I don't know that you were just checkin' me out." I rolled my eyes again as we walked through the woods. Checking her out? No way, she ain't even attractive. Okay, now that was a lie. She's probably the most attractive woman I've ever seen and she ain't no baby.

"Whatever I was not."

"Can I ask you somethin'?" She asked.

"You just did." I told her as I went back to the rabbits tracks.

"How did you get those scars on your back?" She asked, unfazed by my earlier response. I began to tense up at the thought of someone seeing my scars, not even Merle knows about em.

"None of your business." I snapped.

"It's okay, you can tell me."

"It ain't your business. I ain't gotta tell you nothin."

"I never said you had to tell me, I just said you can." She responded calmly. At this point I was leading the hunt and following the tracks. I looked behind me at the green eyed girl. I sighed loudly and stopped walking.

"I got em when I was younger." I said looking into her bright green eyes as she stared back into my light blue ones.

"How?" She whispered.

"My ol' man, he was a piece of shit." I told her. I don't know what made me decide to tell a complete stranger this when I didn't even tell my own brother. But for some reason I trusted this girl, I wanted her to know things about me that no one else knew and I wanted her to tell me her secrets too.

"Oh, I'm sorry."

"Don't be." I said before goin' back to tracking.

"Daryl wait." I turned around to see Skye standing there with her bow up and an arrow locked and ready, at first I thought she was tryin to shoot me but when the arrow went no where near me I turned to see what she was aiming for. A big plump rabbit laid dead on the Forrest floor, an arrow straight through its stomach.

"Nice shot." I said before picking up the rabbit and handing her her arrow back. She smiled at me when I did which shocked me, it's been so long since I've been able to make someone smile let alone a pretty girl.

"Come on lets see what else we can find." She said taking her arrow from my hand and continued walking, in search for more food.

"What that ain't enough for ya?"

"This isn't about me. We have a lot of people to find food for." She told me without even turning around. Damn this girl is defiantly something else, she's beautiful, she can hunt, she can protect herself, and she's unbelievably selfless. Why would she help us?

"Ye don't even know us, why ya tryin' to help us?" I asked. Skye turned around and looked at me, confusion written all over her face.

"why not?" She asked.

"You don't owe us nothin'." I told her.

"Ya'll gave me food, offered to let me stay. I'd say I owe ya." She said. This girl wasn't afraid of eye contact, no one looked at me this long back at camp. They all avoided eye contact when talking to me or they just ignored me all together, which I didn't mind. I don't wanna talk to em either, but this is different.

"Ye stayin' with us?" I asked.

"You want me to?" She asked with a smirk on her face. I rolled my eyes and went back to walking. What's her deal? Asking if I want her here. Like I care what happens to her at all.

"I don't care if ya do or not. I was just wonderin'." I spat at her.

"Oh." She said, sounding a bit disappointed. I don't get what this girl wants from me. Wants me to beg her to stay? Well I ain't doin' that. "I don't think I'm gonna stay anyways."

"Oh yeah?" I asked.

"Yeah. I gotta someone to find." She told me.

"This "someone" got a name?"

"Seth." Oh great she's lookin' for her boyfriend who is most likely dead.

"He's probably dead." I told her, I just couldn't help it. I guess when she mentioned his name I just got jealous. But of what? Telling er' her boyfriends dead isn't going to help with anything, It's just gonna make er' hate me.

"He's not."

"How do you know?" I asked.

"I don't know, I just know he has to be alive." She told me. Before I could say another word a walker stepped out of the trees. It snapped it's teeth at us, hoping to get a bite, but I wasn't going to let that happen.

"I got it." Skye said as she walked up to the geek, I wanted to tell her I could handle it but I knew she'd be fine, and that she could take care of it herself. I watched as she pulled out her machete and grabbed the walker by the shoulders. In one swift motion she pushed the blade straight through the walkers skull and let it fall to the ground.

I couldn't help but stare at her as she did, everything she did seemed to shock me and I didn't understand why.

"Why are you looking at me like that?" She asked, pulling me out of my thoughts.

"It's nothing, It's just-- I bet most of the guys at camp don't even know to aim for the brain. But somehow ye know. Ya know, ye ain't like other girls around here." I told her, a smile formed on her beautiful tan face.

"Not all girls need a guy to save her." She said before walking off deeper into the woods. I'm ashamed to say, I haven't known this girl for long but I think I'm falling for her.